R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default motor turn amount (8.5 vs 10.5)

can someone explain electric motor terms and how they affect my 2wd buggy

1) What exactly is the difference between how many turns my motor has ... I was looking at the reedy sonic and the 10.5T is the same price as 8.5...is one of them faster?

2) What exactly is KV

3) What are the other important stats I should know about motors?
amali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Motors will generally all be the same price from the same line, regardless of "turns". Turns is really an "equivalent turn rating", so while it is helpful for "spec" or "stock", one manufacturer's 8.5t may be quite different from another's 8.5t, since there really isn't much of a standard. It is close enough to get a general idea though.

As for your question, a lower turn (10.5) will generally be considered "faster" than a higher turn (17.5). In motors you generally give up efficiency and torque for higher rpm as you drop in turns.

kv rating is a way of equating volts to rpm. The higher the kv, the higher the rpm (and the lower the "turns").
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: NorCal Hobbies, Tekno, Kyosho, Tekin, Team Powers, HobbyWing, Spektrum, and several battery/tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amali2 View Post
can someone explain electric motor terms and how they affect my 2wd buggy

1) What exactly is the difference between how many turns my motor has ... I was looking at the reedy sonic and the 10.5T is the same price as 8.5...is one of them faster?

2) What exactly is KV

3) What are the other important stats I should know about motors?
1. The difference is that inside the motor it has wire wrapped aound what they call the stator. That is the part of the motor that has power runs through in pulses to generate an magnetic field and turn the magnetic rotor that the pinion is mounted to.

The less wire (Less turns) the larger but shorter the wire is creating less resistance. This results in a stronger magnetic field pulling on the rotor thus creating more power.

In short... Less turns = more overall power because it will want to turn more RPMs which is whay the smaller turn the motor the small pinion you typically need to run to keep the motor in an effecent gearing for the applicaiton.

2. KV - This is a rating that is used to measure the RPM (Free Spinning - No Load) of a brushless motor. So when you see a rating such as 3100 KV what that means is for every volt applied to that motor it will product 3100 RPM for that volt.... For example...

3100 KV (Motor) x 7.4 Volt Battery (Lipo) = 22940 Total RPM

Just like with power the lower the turns, the less resistance = more power (Higher KV Rating).

3. Other status you shoudl know about a motor... It really depends on what type of racing/driving you are going to be doing. It would be more helpful for you to let us know what vehicle and type of racing you will be doing as well as class you plan to race so we can advise you on the best motor for your application.

In general 1/10th Scale Classes

2wd Buggy Stock Class - 17.5 Turn
2wd Buggy Mod Class - 10.5 to 7.5 Turn
2wd Stock SCT - 17.5 Turn
2wd Mod SCT - 10.5 - 6.5 Turn
4wd 1/10 Buggy 8.5 - 5.5 Turn
Stock Stadium Truck - 17.5 Turn
Mod Stadium Truck - 10.5 to 6.5 Turn
4x4 SCT (4 pole motors rated by KV Only - 3600KV to 4800KV or 550 Motors 6.5 Turn - 4.0 Turn)

The choice of motor turn is really dependant on driver skill, track size and track conditions (Traction)

Regarding brands most name brand motors are pretty close and you will not go wrong if you stick with brands such as Trinity, Reedy, LRP, Tekin, Novak, Viper and such. There are others that are good I didn't list...

Hope this helps.
Team Associated - Hobbywing of North America - FalconSekido - Schelle Racing Innovations - SMC - Pro-Line Racing - DE Racing - FbombGraphix.com
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

8.5 is faster if you can keep the wheels from spinning. I like running my 8.5 motors because I don't have to mess with the timing.
-Traxxas Spirit
nadan805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
buggy, motor, reedy sonic, turns