Wiki Posts
Search

Anatomy of a proper jump

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Anatomy of a proper jump

I have a few questions about jumps. I believe that when I hit a single jump, to flat ground, I want to truck to land on all fours or at least with the front a touch high when i land. So, I need a little help with setup I think. What does it mean if I hit a single jump, say 12" high with a slope of about 45* and the back end comes up rapidly? Steady throttle with no bump before the jump. But then again, if I bump the throttle just on the jump, I get a good landing. I know it has to do with shock and spring setup but not real sure how to read it.

I realize i can adjust the attitude of the truck in mid air by tapping the brakes to bring the nose down or bumping the throttle to bring the nose up. I am just talking about how to read the suspension of the truck on a jump.

Oh, I am driving an SC10 4x4 FT kit. Don't know if electric and nitro are different.

Anyone got a good reference for jumps? Another thread possibly or link?

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rem37411
What does it mean if I hit a single jump, say 12" high with a slope of about 45* and the back end comes up rapidly?
It means the jump itself is probably poorly designed/built if your going nose down off a one-foot jump that you're hitting with a steady throttle.

Adjust your shocks and springs for optimum corner speed, adjust your driving for jumps but you've already figured that out:
Originally Posted by rem37411
But then again, if I bump the throttle just on the jump, I get a good landing.
Sorry for the short answer but especially on my 4wd SC, I never tweak the setup for jumps, whether big or small, everything you need to do with the car can be done with your trigger finger.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thats a great reply! Thanks! I hadn't thought about it but it makes sense. I can control the jumps somewhat so it makes sense to adjust for cornering. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sometimes if you're nose down, you just have to let off a little BEFORE you hit the jump so you can be on the throttle and accelerating as you take off from the jump, allowing the front end to stay up or to come up.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got a few packs of practice and racing in. I see what you guys mean. It is easier to try and adjust mid air or before hitting the throttle instead of trying to set the truck up for a good jump. Now I just need to learn how to set my truck up for turns! lol!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

12" jump that tosses the rear-end up into the air? That's called a badly built jump. (too short, too steep, and not smooth enough transition from flat track to jump face).
Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

My problem is the opposite of everyone else's. I always backflip and land on the roof.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Also if you are coming off the jump with the ass up in the air the chassis could be slapping and tossing the rear up as you start up the ramp.
Stiffer rear susp to keep from bottoming out on the jump.

Doing backflips off the jump is likely to be from staying on the throttle after you come off the jump... just keep it pegged and finish the backflip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhqgodBPIc&feature=plcp
Old 06-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by One-wheel drive
My problem is the opposite of everyone else's. I always backflip and land on the roof.
Before the jump let off the throttle a little and don't stay on the throttle in mid air, and that should change your outcome.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
It means the jump itself is probably poorly designed/built if your going nose down off a one-foot jump that you're hitting with a steady throttle.

Adjust your shocks and springs for optimum corner speed, adjust your driving for jumps but you've already figured that out:

Sorry for the short answer but especially on my 4wd SC, I never tweak the setup for jumps, whether big or small, everything you need to do with the car can be done with your trigger finger.
Right, & keep in mind that what you do to deal with jumps will also depend on the vehicle you have. With most 2WD's, there's more weight toward the rear of the car, so they can keep their nose up quite easily(sometimes too easily), but in more 4WD's, the weight is more evenly balanced front to rear, so they should jump more evenly(& also be more responsive to what you do with the throttle mid-air). so with a 4WD, just worry about suspension setup for dealing with bumps & cornering, & focus on driving technique for jumping....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very helpful posts, thanks!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Simple if your like this / hit the brake. If your like this \ hit the gas. If your like this - your good.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

another question, if your car is starting to go nose first on the landing, how can you corresct it? giving it some gas or what?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yup, to correct a nosedive, just squeeze the trigger.

Keep in mind that different vehicles will be able to correct this more easily than others, and if you were already at full speed, you won't get a correction, it'll just stop nose diving even more (see how to take off from a jump above if you can't correct enough un the air to come out of the nose dive).