Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
To balance or not balance off road tires/wheels? >

To balance or not balance off road tires/wheels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To balance or not balance off road tires/wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default To balance or not balance off road tires/wheels?

I bought a sc10 FT off RCTech. When I got it, I noticed the previous owned had balanced the wheels with some kind of gummy material. He had the wheels marked for compound and r/l and f/r. So I figure this guy must not be a complete noob. So then I got to thinking, do i need to do this on the future? What about 10th buggy? In the past I always ignored balancing on off road because dirt would often cake on the tire/rim and any balancing you did is gone. But the track i race on now, is packed damp clay and there is minimal if any caking on the tires. So, should i balance my tires and wheels and whats the best method? What do I need to buy and whats the best material to use in balancing?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I race on mostly hardpack and don't balance. It was the hot thing to do a while ago and a few people by me still do it but most stopped. When you look at how little weight it usually takes to balance a tire, you realize that even the slightest crumb of dirt will therefore unbalance the tire. As well, the tires will shift slightly on the inserts over their life, wear uneven (the rubber being worn off can often weight as much as the balancing weights), etc, etc. that makes it something I'm not going to spend my time on.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It is worth making sure your wheel/tire is not completely and horribly out of balance, making your suspension do crazy things just from trying to drive. Tiny fine balance adjustments are not really worth it in off road though, like they are in on road.

The quick easy test, hold the car up with tires on and punch the throttle for a quick burst. If your suspension doesn't bounce around from the tire/wheel rotational vibrations, you're doin' ok.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

I put a 2wd car on a riser and manually spun each front wheel. To my surprise, one front wheel violently shook the car and the shock moved up and down quickly. That tire needed balancing or replacement. I replaced it.

Does it make a difference? I don't know, but would you want your real vehicle violently bouncing down the interstate? Our hard packed clay road course with jumps is not interstate smooth, but why not eliminate a potential handling problem.
TakeAim
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I try and do it when I can but that's not very often. I do it more for my 4wd buggy than anything else.

I recently saw a pic of Ryan M.'s 2wd buggy after a race that showed heavy rear tire wear and one spot on the tire was almost bald compared to the rest. That tells me that if the Pros aren't loosing races because they don't balance it's not going to help us mortals much.

IMO it's worth it if you have the time but it's not going to win or loose any races for you.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

ok, good info.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

I went out and got the balancer and yada yada. I have not had a set of tires that out of balance. I say no, is not worth the money.