R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 02-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Motor questions

Hi everyone, im completely new to this rc game, and i would like some info on the electric motors, what i need to know is what the turns mean, are the motors the same physical size, and what are the best motors for the best purposes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RoGuE_BULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I'll try to help:

The stock motor that comes with most 1/10-scale kits is a Type J 540 motor. Anything that says it will replace this motor should technically work. Keep reading for why they're technical replacements...

The number of turns determines the power-torque ratio, and also the overall power. The fewer the turns, the higher the RPMs, the lower the torque, and the more power it sucks from your battery pack. Stock is 27 turns; other popular ones are 24T, 19T, and modified, which is basically anyhing under 19T. 13T is popular here with the right ESC.

Speaking of which, if you want a modified motor, you need to check and see if your ESC will handle it. Most reversible ESCs except the heavy-duty ones like the Novak Super Rooster (and there's an even beefier one for monster trucks and dual-engine setups) will only handle down to about 16-20T (I think my Rooster will handle down to 16, which is more than I'll ever need). Some are stock-only. Most racing (non-reversible) ESCs have no limit, or a limit so low, like 8T, you probably won't have a problem finding a powerful engine it can run.

I think the first step if you're starting with stock, especialy on-road, is grab a sport-tuned stock motor. It's stil 27T, but set to finer tolerances than your average silvercan motor. They will require more maintenance, and in fact you can spend a lot of money on equipment like commutator lathes and a dremel to polish with, but you can get massive power out of these guys just by reducing the friction in the motor.
Liko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Default THANKYOU

Thanks very much you have been a geat help
RoGuE_BULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Tech Adept

turns are how many times wrap around the armture and winds are how many strand of wire
less turns more rpm and more wind means torque

if got this wrong somebody correct me
losixxxs is offline   Reply With Quote