Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best value 1:10 electric touring car kit for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default .

Last edited by Toat; 03-14-2024 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Initiate

TC4 if your just planning on local races either RTR or club racer. HPI but I'm not sure on upgradability with them any more.Other than that there really isn't many choices with a budget in mind. Most competitive world class cars start over $300 for the kit alone.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well in the $100-$200 range:

You've got the TC4 at $140ish. Great chassis, still very competitive. Most places stock parts for it.

You've got the Sakura Zero S at around $120. Can be upgraded to the full zero (parts are interchangeable) as you go. Also is reported to handle well but parts availability can be an issue.

You've got the Schumacher Mi1 around the same price range. That's a nice ride with great steering.

If you spend a little more in the $200 to $300 range, you really open up some good deals with a lot of bang for buck.

There's the XRay (which can be upgraded over time to the full race version) or you can get something along the lines of a Tamiya TA-05 or TA-06. You could go Corally too.

That being said. Here's what I'd do.... I'd see what parts the local track stocks. It's a pain in the butt to sit out a race day because you bought a car that can only get parts online. When you break, you want to be able to just grab a part out of the proshop, fixit up, and get right back on the track for your next qualifying heat. Plus if other guys there run the same car, they'll be able to give you tips and help make repairs since they already know the ins and outs.

If you're just starting out, see if your local track runs as part of the Tamiya championship series. That's a great way to get into touring car too. If they don't have that, try to see if you can run Vintage TransAm. It's basically touring cars with slower motors and cool bodies. It's a great way to build up experience before going all the way to TC.