Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driver/tire/motor help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Driver/tire/motor help

I just bought a 13.5 b4.1 to race at my local track never having owned a 2wd rc or an electric rc at that. Even though everyone suggested an easier, slower class such as the SCT class. I found myself either spinning out when i pressed the throttle, even when i slightly pressed the throttle and the same when braking. I think the tires are mostly worn on it but i was wondering if it is more likely my worn out tires, too much motor, or operator error?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

More than likely, it's tires. Are you using the same ones as your local "fast guys" or just what came with the car and are they fairly new? Don't expect the same tire life from a buggy as just about any other class will get.

The next most likely thing is your ESC is either not setup correctly to be as smooth as possible or is a lower-end one that is just inherently not that smooth. Buggies run best with ESC's that have the word "smooth" most commonly associated with them such as the LRP or Orion R10.

As well, your diff and/or slipper could both be too tight thereby making your car mimic having bad tires and a cheap ESC.

Finally, it will take some getting used to on behalf of the nut behind the wheel. Your driving inputs will all need to be more precise and more measured compared to other types of cars. You can't just throw it around like you could a 4wd car or a larger truck.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Without more details and/or a video it is hard to say.

Getting correct tires for the track is the 2nd biggest thing, just behind driver finger control to not just squeeze it all at once.

I'd suggest asking one of the fast guys on the track with the same car if you can try a couple laps with their tires on (not all buggies use the same wheels, thus why the same model), and see if you still have that problem (they may just be able to look at your wheels and tell you straight up too). If you don't have the same problem, or have much less of that problem, then tires is the likely biggest answer.

From there, you can also ask them to watch you as you drive for a lap or so to see how you handle the trigger. If you have a tendency to mash the breaks, you'll break loose almost every time, but you can adjust how much breaking power you have on most ESC's to help compensate for that.

After that, then it is more fine grained setup on the car to make it behave the way you want in regards to slide vs traction and the like. This involves shocks, springs, fluids, diff slip, slip, camber, etc, etc...

2WD buggy isn't really harder to drive then Short Course (it should actually be easier when set up well), but it is harder to be highly competitive in and set up correctly, as every little thing matters more. 2WD buggy should improve your overall driving ability the most quickly, as well as your understanding of how setup changes affect the vehicle...but it will also be the steepest learning curve.