Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newb looking for a new esc, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newb looking for a new esc, need some advice

First off, sorry for not posting direct links, apparently I need to make a number of posts on the forum before I can do that.

So the esc has gone in my car (124000012 Macnum) and I'd like to get it replaced.

I only want to use this car for bashing, so I won't need a programmable esc.

I have a 12 Turn motor and a 7.2v battery. So I know I need to get an esc that supports at 12 turns or less and runs on a 7.2 v battery.

What else do I need to consider?

I’ve been looking at this esc
www DOT rcgeeks.co.uk/radio-control-car-parts/Motors%20ESCs%20Combos%20/RC-Car-Ansmann-Sirius-12T-Waterproof-Speed-Control-ESC

That appears to meet my requirements, will this do? Does anyone have any suggestions on a good esc?

Car specs
www DOT emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/ansmann-truggy-macnum-brushless-124000012-p-28706.html
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

What kind of car is it? Have you considered switching over to brushless? There are some very cheap systems available now days and the advantages are huge.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by onefast8
What kind of car is it? Have you considered switching over to brushless? There are some very cheap systems available now days and the advantages are huge.
I believe it is a brushless motor, as for what kind it is, well I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but it's an electric 1:10 rc car. Hopefully that and the URLS I provided should help determine anything else you need to know.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Oops, missed your 2nd link. Looks like just a 60 amp sensorless esc for brushless motors.

The ESC your looking at, I believe is for brushed.

Have you looked at something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeolian-Sens...item2a1be6495a
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I think I might have got this now...

Thanks for pointing out that I was looking at a ESC for a bushed motor, I would have completely missed that.

After a bit more research it looks like brushless ESC doesn't need to match to the turn (because they should all be compatible)

It looks like the real issue is to get a ESC that can handle the amps from the motor both continuous and burst.

Now according to the specs, my motor is a 60A. Now I'm guessing that's burst as it doesn't say.

So a ESC that can support 60A continuous with a higher burst should be fine.

It looks like the Brushless ESC Hobbywing EZrun 35A-SL Version 2 will do all this, and looking at the pics it has the same connections as the one I'll be replacing which is good. It's also slightly programmable should I ever want to go down that route.

As for the ebay one, that appears to have a different amount of connections which worries me, other than that it also looks like it will fit the bill.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Are you close by to an r/c track?

I would probably bet there are lots of guys there that would have a brushed motor speed control that they would sell you cheap, now that nearly everyone in the racing scene prefers to use brushless motors.

That would be the cheapest option if you are not bothered about converting to using a brushless motor/ESC.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tc3team
Are you close by to an r/c track?

I would probably bet there are lots of guys there that would have a brushed motor speed control that they would sell you cheap, now that nearly everyone in the racing scene prefers to use brushless motors.

That would be the cheapest option if you are not bothered about converting to using a brushless motor/ESC.
I already went ahead and got a ESC Hobbywing EZrun Speed Controller 60A which should be brushless like my motor, I guess I'll find out when it arrives.