Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Shock sizes?

While browsing through different brands of shocks I see some listed with the size as a range, for example "70mm to 103mm"...is that the travel range? Is 70mm measured with the shock fully compressed, and where is it measured at, from the top mounting hole to the bottom?

I have to order most of my stuff online, and I don't want to buy shocks and then find out after the fact that they don't fit.

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The measurements I've seen on shocks on my vehicles are from the center of the top eyelet to the center of the bottom eyelet.

Those are likely not travel measurements. 25.4mm = 1". I can't say I've seen shocks with 3-4" of travel.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BandS
I have to order most of my stuff online, and I don't want to buy shocks and then find out after the fact that they don't fit.
A more specific way to do it would be to post up what car you have and then what shocks you want to buy and someone can probably give you a definitive answer as to if they'll fit or not.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I have an ECX Torment, 1/10 SC. I was looking at HPI Shocks, listed at AMain Hobbies in the parts list for the HPI Blitz, only because someone with a Blitz allowed me to try their tires/wheels and they were a direct fit, so I thought other parts might fit as well. I would like to upgrade to some aluminum shocks, as the plastic stock shocks that came in the RTR Torment leak a lot.

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by klaymon
Those are likely not travel measurements. 25.4mm = 1". I can't say I've seen shocks with 3-4" of travel.
If the 70 to 103 mm is the size fully compressed (70mm) and fully extended(103mm) then the difference is 33mm, or just a bit less than 1-1/2 inch. So that may actually be the range of motion for that particular shock, (I think).

This is my first ever R/C vehicle, and I know absolutely nothing about it...but I need to upgrade a few things on this Torment, as it is turning out to be a "you get what you pay for..." situation. But I find no parts listed as fitting an ECX Torment, other than the stock parts provided by ECX/Horizon Hobby.

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BandS
This is my first ever R/C vehicle, and I know absolutely nothing about it...but I need to upgrade a few things on this Torment, as it is turning out to be a "you get what you pay for..." situation. But I find no parts listed as fitting an ECX Torment, other than the stock parts provided by ECX/Horizon Hobby.

Thank you.
I would not buy a shock set for that car. I would beat the s out of it as it is and put the money you would be spending on any hop-ups for it as the start of saving towards something better. I've seen SC10 rollers sell on here for as low as $120, Blitz's and XXX-SCT's for a few bucks less.