Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Traxxas help

I am COMPLETELY new to rc scene. Most of the remote control cars I've ever owned had a cord attached. For some crazy reason I have decided to build a sc truck from the ground up. I chose a slash because I've heard they can handle the abuse. I am really wanting to race but my job schedule is crazy so not going to be a full time racer. And from what I've read on here I did not pick a great truck for racing. With that being said... Since I am getting to put it together piece by piece I would like to pick out parts that will help when I am able to take it to my local off road track.

What I have so far is a traxxas raptor chassis with nerf bars shock towers bumpers, axles, steering, and a complete raptor transmission with slipper clutch. I have 2 different batteries with charger. That's it. Lol. So I need shocks, wheels/tires, all electronics, and whatever else that might come in handy.

I've talked to my local shop and they have been very helpful. I love the look of the stock tires but they told me they will not work very well for racing. Also the was told not to get the stock shocks. Was gonna get the traxxas big bore but I had some catch my eye but I haven't heard anything about them. They are the Venom all metal. Anyone know about these? Also motor and esc... Was going to get the brushless set up from traxxas just not sure.

So any and all help will be very very much appreciated!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

id go with the sidewinder combo from castle creations it is better than the traxxas set up and you can custom set it to your liking via the castle link. id also eventually upgrade the stock arms and bumper to rpm parts they are stronger than stock and are guaranteed for life. id also go with s set of proline bead lock rims and either proline calibers or renegade tires
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freaksofnature
id go with the sidewinder combo from castle creations it is better than the traxxas set up and you can custom set it to your liking via the castle link.
I agree with this, you can pick up a sidewinder for a little more than a $100, but keep in mind that the VXL is waterproof and most other motor combos are not.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Initiate

The waterproof part is very appealing. Not that I'll be running it in the rain but my house is located in a way that our yard is damp quite often. The local rc shop did recommend the proline tires but wanted to see what everyone recommended
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I got my raptor frame in today. Tranny should be in tomorrow. Thinkin I've decided on a few parts. Thinkin venom shocks to start with and see how they do. May also pick up some other aluminum parts from them eventually. Thinkin some jconcept wheels and some proline caliber tires. I'll post some pics soon.

Again any suggestions or comments would be great!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MikeT77
Well I got my raptor frame in today. Tranny should be in tomorrow. Thinkin I've decided on a few parts. Thinkin venom shocks to start with and see how they do. May also pick up some other aluminum parts from them eventually. Thinkin some jconcept wheels and some proline caliber tires. I'll post some pics soon.

Again any suggestions or comments would be great!
id stay away from some alum parts like the arms and shock towers cuz 1 good smack and they will bend and tweak on you with out your knowing it. like i said for the arms go with the rpm arms or get the proline pro trac kit which beefs up everything
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Having had a Slash, beat it up remembering how to drive, and tried to race it, there are a few things you'll want to do.

1) Just get the Castle 4pole combo for less than the traxxas system and laugh at the extra power
2) Get tires appropriate for the track, but don't use them except on the track. Since you have a Slash, the center of gravity is higher...this is the main reason they're annoying to race, as they tend to tip over on high speed cornering. You can reduce this effect by running very little tread on the front tires, making you push instead of traction roll, if you're going faster than intended for the corner...making you simply take it wide instead of waiting to get put back on the track.
3) Once you've done a bit, there are several low center of gravity chassis that can be purchased to put the front and rear of the Slash on, providing you with a reasonable truck for racing. You'll still be short some of the adjustments that pure racing trucks can make, but you'll also have a less expensive to repair truck that breaks less often when you do something bad to it.

Aluminum is ok, but you want to be very selective about it and only put it where you need it. Where there is an aluminum part, all of the break force that would've snapped that part moves to the next part, making it more likely to snap, rather than both parts suffering some give and wear. If you have too much aluminum, it'll just bend while sending all of the shock back into your electronics, and not stay in shape to let the truck handle correctly.

Lastly, I can't stress this enough. As the prior poster mentioned, replace parts with RPM as you can. They withstand abuse much better, function great, and they will often replace things for you too. In general, RPM everything, aluminum things that affect performance for things like steering, so you're less likely to have your turning ability/precision change over time.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Awesome advise. I went to my local shop today with the thought of getting aluminum and they gave me similar advise. Aluminum for steering if possible and basically rpm for the majority. I was really loving the look of aluminum but being so new I know I'll be tearing stuff up. Thank you all so much for the help. PLEASE keep it coming. Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Another question for y'all. I am wanting to go brushless but I do happen to have an old brushed motor that is in good shape that I was thinking about using to just start out with. Is there a esc that does both brushed and brushless? Probably a dumb question and I just new to do some research but any help is appreciated!

ps... This is a 27 turn Trinity Midnight motor that is roughly 15 years old but still works great
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MikeT77
Another question for y'all. I am wanting to go brushless but I do happen to have an old brushed motor that is in good shape that I was thinking about using to just start out with. Is there a esc that does both brushed and brushless? Probably a dumb question and I just new to do some research but any help is appreciated!

ps... This is a 27 turn Trinity Midnight motor that is roughly 15 years old but still works great
id go with a castle sidewinder
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok. Pretty much sold on the sidewinder. Should be great to start out with and can always go up from there. Thanks for the help. Ive been taking pictures of the progress. Will post when I can.