R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18
Default Another Nitro Vs Electric question

I searched but didnt quiet get what Im looking to find. I got out of the hobby for 10+years ago and always wanted to get into nitro but been thinking of getting into 4wd electric.I understand things break,wrecks happen,wear out etc but what is more likely to have something go wrong and harder to get back running if parts for both or readily available?And what would be cheaper to maintain?I really pushing for nitro and I understand they need tune ups and can be hard to start but always seems like alot that goes wrong is something major and most of electrics is something alot the lines of broken shock tower.Thanks for all responses.
stinkoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
justpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 2,049
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

In both electric and nitro, you'll have 2 categories of issues:
Chassis/roller (such as the mentioned shock tower)
drive train

For the drive train, nitro has an actual combustion engine that you're keeping tuned up, maintaining, etc. It can have all the issues associated with that.
For an electric, the issues are usually battery or bearing wear unless you shorted something out. In both electric and nitro you have to do appropriate things with gearing/tuning to manage how hot they run.

All in all, get what you like and what you can run in races often at your track. If you like nitro, you'll probably enjoy that tuning and maintaining aspect of it, just as people do for full size cars.
__________________
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Sanwa, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkoman View Post
I searched but didnt quiet get what Im looking to find. I got out of the hobby for 10+years ago and always wanted to get into nitro but been thinking of getting into 4wd electric.I understand things break,wrecks happen,wear out etc but what is more likely to have something go wrong and harder to get back running if parts for both or readily available?And what would be cheaper to maintain?I really pushing for nitro and I understand they need tune ups and can be hard to start but always seems like alot that goes wrong is something major and most of electrics is something alot the lines of broken shock tower.Thanks for all responses.
There are many variables that differ between an EP and an Nitro car. The real question is whether those attributes that make Nitro more demanding could be part of the preferred experience.

One major attribute to Nitro is that we can refuel and have endurance events, EP is often a sets of 5 minute sprints and if that format of racing is more appealing in terms of father/son mechanic/driver, then Nitro is more attractive.

The reality is that EP batteries, digital ESC and brushless sensed motors have all improved to a level of performance where SPEED is no longer the issue. As for which costs more, that's always been and always will be entirely up to the individual. No matter which you choose, there's always someone with a better battery, ESC, motor and the choice to keep up makes EP expensive too.

Nitro does cost more, there's transmission, clutches and additional consumables and tools which do add to the shopping list. We use more shells and spend more time maintaining the car. The noise and the smell does count as does enjoying the challenge of tuning precision high performance engines.

You can get quality, performance and precision models for the same if not cheaper than you'd pay for a plastics only car 20 years ago. Best to see which club suits you best, see what they're running and if you like it, join in, EP or nitro.. it's all good
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
There are many variables that differ between an EP and an Nitro car. The real question is whether those attributes that make Nitro more demanding could be part of the preferred experience.

One major attribute to Nitro is that we can refuel and have endurance events, EP is often a sets of 5 minute sprints and if that format of racing is more appealing in terms of father/son mechanic/driver, then Nitro is more attractive.

The reality is that EP batteries, digital ESC and brushless sensed motors have all improved to a level of performance where SPEED is no longer the issue. As for which costs more, that's always been and always will be entirely up to the individual. No matter which you choose, there's always someone with a better battery, ESC, motor and the choice to keep up makes EP expensive too.

Nitro does cost more, there's transmission, clutches and additional consumables and tools which do add to the shopping list. We use more shells and spend more time maintaining the car. The noise and the smell does count as does enjoying the challenge of tuning precision high performance engines.

You can get quality, performance and precision models for the same if not cheaper than you'd pay for a plastics only car 20 years ago. Best to see which club suits you best, see what they're running and if you like it, join in, EP or nitro.. it's all good
Im not sure, Im familiar with both. I wrench on my EP just as much as my Nitro. Ill take buying fuel and air filters while running ALL day. To $100+ EP battery packs that are only good for 15-20 mins.. Im not sure what tools are different as I use the same for both....
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Moderator
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 8,952
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Ill take buying fuel and air filters while running ALL day. To $100+ EP battery packs that are only good for 15-20 mins..
True but the $100 lipo will/should outlast a dozen gallons or more of $25+/gal Nitro. And how often do you run for more than 15minutes at a time other than a main event?
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
True but the $100 lipo will/should outlast a dozen gallons or more of $25+/gal Nitro. And how often do you run for more than 15minutes at a time other than a main event?
About 3 times a week when in season. I run until my RX pack is done.
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

I can tell you from my experiences with both that Electric anything is 3 times less expensive to race given the exact same time on the track.

1/8 has more tire wear, fuel, air filters, glow plugs, chassis wearing out, clutch shoes and bells plus bearings.....

I love racing Nitro 1/8 but it is expensive.
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Im not sure, Im familiar with both. I wrench on my EP just as much as my Nitro. Ill take buying fuel and air filters while running ALL day. To $100+ EP battery packs that are only good for 15-20 mins.. Im not sure what tools are different as I use the same for both....
Clutch and engine tools... Tyre truers as well... then there's the added solvents and cleaners... And you still need to charge batteries too. Yes, it's more expensive in nitro, but as I said, it really depends what you want to get out of it and how much you want to put into it. I know many nitro 1/10th onroad drivers that spend less than high end EP runners.

In any sport racing is expensive by default, overall EP is cheaper, individu ally either can be more expensive than the other. If we want to be competitive and be kitted completely, I could spend as much on electronics, gearing, batteries, chargers, soldering stations, soldering tools, crimp and wiring tools as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that, you could use a pair of nail clippers to do your wiring, or put the engine in an oven to remove the bearings. Alternately, you could buy all the right tools and be up for expenses in excess of either a chassis engine/motors etc, so it's entirely up to the individual to what level he/she wishes to develop their tool kit.

Which leads me to ask.. Is it the type of car or owner's expectation?
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! snrscion Electric On-Road 3425 11-09-2017 11:28 AM
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car Raydee Oval, Larger Scales and More 1264 03-30-2017 06:47 AM
For those who have raced nitro and electric 1/8 buggys kvrc Nitro Off-Road 25 09-14-2008 08:42 AM
Electric vs Gas? losi09 Electric Off-Road 113 05-21-2007 01:05 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:24 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net