R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to caseman788
Default rustler xl 5 running slow

hello, im new to the RC world. as my first buy i got a rustler xl 5. i do like the hobby a lot so far. but i am having some problems.

the first week i had it out running it was going good speeds and running smoothly, now on week three it has slowed down quite a bit.

im running 19/86 (the stock) gearing.

everything else on the truck is stock as well.

motor is titan 12 t brushed.

batteries are fully charged.

some things i noticed though is if i go in reverse a little then go forward i can get to higher speeds (is that wierd?)
but still nowhere as fast as i was going when i first started running it.

to eliminate some answers.... i have cleaned out the motor. my gear mesh is good, batteries are charged and putting our proper voltage, i checked for binding anywhere.

the only thing i can think of is the motor is starting to go( i have read nothing but bad things about the titan 12t). but maybe its something else. any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

also i am not ready to upgrade to brushless, i dont have the money and i want to get a little more experiance before i do that, so any other suggestions would be great
caseman788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseman788 View Post
hello, im new to the RC world. as my first buy i got a rustler xl 5. i do like the hobby a lot so far. but i am having some problems.

the first week i had it out running it was going good speeds and running smoothly, now on week three it has slowed down quite a bit.

im running 19/86 (the stock) gearing.

everything else on the truck is stock as well.

motor is titan 12 t brushed.

batteries are fully charged.

some things i noticed though is if i go in reverse a little then go forward i can get to higher speeds (is that wierd?)

to eliminate some answers.... i have cleaned out the motor. my gear mesh is good, batteries are charged and putting our proper voltage, i checked for binding anywhere.

the only thing i can think of is the motor is starting to go( i have read nothing but bad things about the titan 12t). but maybe its something else. any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

also i am not ready to upgrade to brushless, i dont have the money and i want to get a little more experiance before i do that, so any other suggestions would be great
it could be a radio setting as im sure you messed with the radio to get everything right when you got it out of the box, but yah the motors are not very good there closed end bell motors so there is really nothing you can do when it goes bad but a good brushed motor would be a good option so im guessing you have this esc (obviusly but just making sure) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVSJ4&P=ML

and this esc has a 15 turn limit on motors 540 size (the 12 turn titan is 550) i would recomend this motor if you want to save some money and still go fast http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHUJ0&P=SM

but this motor (and most aftermarket motors) needs motor leads put on it so if you have a soldering gun or station handy you will need some wire as well but if you have a local hobby shop most likely they will be able to do it for you or you can get what you need there hope this helps
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseman788 View Post

Going in reverse and then forward is likely cleaning your motor's commutator in a more efficient manner than any spray can, kinda like the old, pre-lathe comm sticks would do in the 80's. It's possible/probable your motor is just getting worn out prematurely.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to caseman788

thanks for the help guys! it was definately the motor, a little piece fell out of it yesterday after a quik bash. i took it out to clean it up and there was something rattling in there. it was a little black piece of somethig. anyways i called traxxas and there sending me a new one.
on the plus side my wife decided to let me get the brushless system when i get back from deployment in korea, so ill do my best to make this new 12t last til i get back. but if this motor breaks ill look into the other brushed motors you recomended.
caseman788 is offline   Reply With Quote