Wiki Posts
Search

New Motors for nitro Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New Motors for nitro Cars?

I am looking to get a new motor for my 1/8 OFNA Hyper Sprint Car. I am looking at the Losi 8ight 2.0 T Truggy RTR 454 complete Nitro .28 Engine. It has the Macstar.28 6 Port Engine on it now. Are all Nitro Motors interchangeable? Cause I am having problems with the Macstar and I am thinking of just putting a new one on it and want to make sure it would work first.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

no they are not. if i remember right, with the 1/8 motors some have threaded ends on the crankshaft and others use a e-clip to retain the clutch bell. the ARE NOT interchangeable without modifying the trans or endbell. i suggest heading into your local hobbyshop and asking someone that is knowledgeable with nitro vehicles.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Miketuck12
I am looking to get a new motor for my 1/8 OFNA Hyper Sprint Car. I am looking at the Losi 8ight 2.0 T Truggy RTR 454 complete Nitro .28 Engine. It has the Macstar.28 6 Port Engine on it now. Are all Nitro Motors interchangeable? Cause I am having problems with the Macstar and I am thinking of just putting a new one on it and want to make sure it would work first.
Depends on crank length (single or two speed) and engine mounts and most importantly, exhaust manifold, Side or REAR.

PS: Add check pullstart or bump start as a pullstart has a different rear backplate and crank.

All engines arent equal!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by evader-fan-69
no they are not. if i remember right, with the 1/8 motors some have threaded ends on the crankshaft and others use a e-clip to retain the clutch bell. the ARE NOT interchangeable without modifying the trans or endbell. i suggest heading into your local hobbyshop and asking someone that is knowledgeable with nitro vehicles.
The closest hobby shop to me is about 1 1/2 hours. I have had to buy everything from the internet.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

So I was checking online and I looked up the OFNA Hyper Sprint that is 80% prebuilt and it says that it needs a big block motor. So Does that mean that you could find a "Big Block" and it should bolt up? Cause I blew the piston in this one and it'll be better to just replace the engine. I would be paying about $80 for the piston, sleeve, and rod when I can get a brand new motor on ebay for about $120-$140.