Wiki Posts
Search

how to trouble r/c problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default how to trouble r/c problems?

Hello,

I’m completely new to this hobby and stumped over how to determine the cause of my faulty setup. Basically, my servo (and a fail safe) are unresponsive. Here’s the setup:

Hitec Neon Radio (4-ch, 72 Mhz, Channel 19)
-------------------------
Hitec HFS-04MG receiver 72Mhz (Single-conversion Ch-19 crystal)
Hitec HS-35HD Ultra Feather Servo
RCTimer Fail Safe (detects loss of radio signal and/or low voltage)
160 mAh, 4.8v NIMH battery pack

Voltmeter reads 4.85v from the battery pack and both the receiver (a solid green LED) and Fail Safe (multipurpose LED) show adequate power. However, neither the servo nor fail safe “see” the radio. Both are non-responsive with one curious exception: the servo jumps slightly (maybe 15-20 degrees) whenever the radio is turned off - however, the servo does nothing when the radio is turned on. Turn the radio off again and the servo jumps slightly. Every time.

I purchased each of the above components from a different vendor and have no idea how to diagnose what’s wrong. I have never used this radio before, although I could build the EZ Star it came with sooner than later to check whether it works, but was hoping there might be something else I could check in the meantime?

A few clarifications: (1) the crystal I purchased for the receiver is the correct type, frequency and channel, but I don’t know how to test it independently of the other components; (2) the fail safe apparently never sees the radio (the LED would glow green if it did; but it blinks red no matter whether the radio is on or off); (3) I tried connecting the servo to all three active receiver channels (it responds the same way every time; i.e. power radio off and the servo jerks).

What confuses me completely is how the servo can consistently respond to the radio being powered off if the radio and receiver aren't communicating? I would have expected the connection to be all-or-nothing (certainly when separated by only 6 inches).

Any ideas would be incredibly appreciated. TIA!

P.S. Just FYI, the purpose of this setup is to trigger the servo upon the either the loss of radio signal OR low voltage which, in turn, releases a payload (a mini video camera) from stack of helium balloons, which then descends via parachute.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Welcome.

Did you buy the radio and receiver separately? Correct version of the receiver? Servo plugged in correctly?

The negative shift version (24772) will work with Hitec and Futaba transmitters. The positive shift version (24872) will work with JR and Airtronics transmitters.

Looking at the top of the receiver, the signal line from the servo should be facing up.

The signal line should be white or light colored.

Have you tried it without the fail safe? Sure the battery is charged, would expect a little more voltage, but hey I'm not familiar with ones that size.