Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to RC Nitro...please be kind and patient :D >

New to RC Nitro...please be kind and patient :D

New to RC Nitro...please be kind and patient :D

Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? New to RC Nitro...please be kind and patient :D

Hi

I am a keen car enthusiast (mainly old VW's for my sins) and I am wanting to get into the world of nitro RC, as I used to have RC cars as a kid.

I am on a tight budget right now, but as always with me, once I get involved in a hobby/interest my budget will expand as I learn more . I have managed to get an Acme car off eGay for peanuts, as I thought it would be a good idea to piece a budget set together and learn as I go.

However I have been looking at this as a complete bundle, any advice appreciated. I'm not able to post links yet (newbie) so the eGay Item number is: 250992267610

Features
1/10 Scale nitro powered car
4WD Shaft drive system
Fully ball raced system
Team Infinity .18 size pull start engine
Aluminium oil-filled shocks
Two speed automatic gear box
Front and rear bevel differentials
75CC Fuel tank
Metal disc brake system
Pre-painted and cut body shell
Sealed box for protecting receiver system
Anti-roll bars pre-fitted
High quality 27MHZ CE approved Radio system with changeable crystals.

Specifications
Width: 267MM
Height: 155MM
Track: 240MM
Length: 430MM
Wheelbase: 280MM
Gear ratio: 5.69:1 (High), 7.83:1 (Low)
Engine: Team Infinity 18
Wheel dia.: 88*34MM(FRONT); 88*41MM(REAR)
Ground clearance: 27MM

For £160 all in it seems a great way to get introduced to Nitro.

I would love to build a kit from scratch but not sure of what's best type of kit out there for my budget..

Cheers BFT.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Nice to see another new guy like myself! hope you enjoy it as much as i am currently
Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Take my advice and keep away from those cheap 1/10 nitroś. They are really big pain in the ass most times. Most that I've come across are hard to tune even for experienced people. They will give you a bad experience and scare you away from the hobby.
If you want a cheap and reliable nitro i would recommend something like
HoBao Hyper 7 TQ (regular or black) or Thunder Tiger EB-4 s2 depending which is easier to get parts in your area. Those two models ,I know for a fact,
come with a fairly descent and easy to tune engines and are well built.
Stay away from cheap Kyoshos- they have or at least use to have really soft chassis and hingepins that will get bent up really easily
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

I would not buy this. You will be very upset as soon as you get it. You cant find replacement parts and there is no support.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

OK guys thanks for the advice, I don't want my first to be a pain in the arse (ooer) so will have a look at your suggestions
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys, I certainly dont want my first Nitro to be a pain in the arse, and aftercare is important.

I will get looking at some of the suggestions

Cheers
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the heads up, as it's my first Nitro and don't want a headache. Will start a look around at the suggested cars.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Make sure they send you what you are supposed to receive also. I just bought my first nitro 1/8 OFNA Hyper Sprint Car and the valve settings were not right from factory. Finally got them set right and the glow plug went out. Got a new glow plug(we don't have any hobby shops in my area), and then i get it running smooth and the radio quit working. Come to find out they sent me the wrong radio with the package. So just make sure you get exactly what you are paying for.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Good point Miketuck12, be sure to get least 4-5 glowplugs for spares, . They tend to burn out quite easily turning break in. Some extra fuel tubing won't hurt either
Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BIG F@ TW@
Hi

I am a keen car enthusiast (mainly old VW's for my sins) and I am wanting to get into the world of nitro RC, as I used to have RC cars as a kid.

I am on a tight budget right now, but as always with me, once I get involved in a hobby/interest my budget will expand as I learn more . I have managed to get an Acme car off eGay for peanuts, as I thought it would be a good idea to piece a budget set together and learn as I go.

However I have been looking at this as a complete bundle, any advice appreciated. I'm not able to post links yet (newbie) so the eGay Item number is: 250992267610

Features
1/10 Scale nitro powered car
4WD Shaft drive system
Fully ball raced system
Team Infinity .18 size pull start engine
Aluminium oil-filled shocks
Two speed automatic gear box
Front and rear bevel differentials
75CC Fuel tank
Metal disc brake system
Pre-painted and cut body shell
Sealed box for protecting receiver system
Anti-roll bars pre-fitted
High quality 27MHZ CE approved Radio system with changeable crystals.

Specifications
Width: 267MM
Height: 155MM
Track: 240MM
Length: 430MM
Wheelbase: 280MM
Gear ratio: 5.69:1 (High), 7.83:1 (Low)
Engine: Team Infinity 18
Wheel dia.: 88*34MM(FRONT); 88*41MM(REAR)
Ground clearance: 27MM

For £160 all in it seems a great way to get introduced to Nitro.

I would love to build a kit from scratch but not sure of what's best type of kit out there for my budget..

Cheers BFT.
If you are a dub nut, an RC car is a piece of cake and you'll be hooked, but as others said, buy a good 2nd hand chassis, good spread spectrum radio gear, decent servos and with any NITRO RC car the clutch system matters and its about sourcing parts.

Look in the second hand sections here or visit your nearest track for a Pullstart with a centax clutch.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Finally had some time recently to get some money together and do as bit of shopping.

I have bought a new Thunder Tiger Panda Stadium, got it from Modelzone and cost me £99 which I was very pleased with.

I know it's not one of the best, or the fastest, but for a newbie I reckon it's perfect (it's also something I can pass down to my lads when they're old enough) and it's a good base to learn on.

I also bagged a Thunder Tiger SSK from eGay, picked it up for £60 delivered and is complete and in pretty good nick and a runner.

I have purchased the obligatory nitro starter kit and have the correct fuel for the Panda. I have also b ought a spare glow plug and a failsafe. Also got some rechargable batteries coming.

Really what I need to know is where do I start with the second hand SSK? Is it best to do a complete strip down and rebuild (which I'm happy to do) or jsut get it going and start from there. I think the rear shocks need looking at as they don't rebound when compressed, but all else looks OK.

Sooo how should I begin?

Thanks in advance

Guy