Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta05 drive belt tight in one spot

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Ta05 drive belt tight in one spot

The rear drive belt on my ta05 vdf goes tight as it rotates, then loosens off again until the belt comes back around to the same position and it tightens up again.

This is causing quite alot of resistance in the drive train, and I believe this is cutting into my run times and over heating the motor due to resitance.

I have loosened off all the tensioners and it seems to have helped it a little bit but its still tightening up again.
I have re fit the belt several times and still have no clue as to why it would tighten up in one spot and then be fine the rest of the time

I am using an eagle racing 1.8 counter-steer kit with the stock vdf belt.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by CompactDisk; 02-13-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

has it always done this or is this something new?

Originally Posted by CompactDisk
The rear drive belt on my ta05 vdf goes tight as it rotates, then loosens off again until the belt comes back around to the same position and it tightens up again.

This is causing quite alot of resistance in the drive train, and I believe this is cutting into my run times and over heating the motor due to resitance.

I have loosened off all the tensioners and it seems to have helped it a little bit but its still tightening up again.
I have re fit the belt several times and still have no clue as to why it would tighten up in one spot and then be fine the rest of the time

I am using an eagle racing 1.8 counter-steer kit with the stock vdf belt.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Rookie

I have only used it for about 2 packs so far and hadn't noticed the problem beforehand.

However I am getting severely reduced run times.
I run a 10.5t 120a esc and motor combo and I get about 2 hours out of a 5300mah Turnigy Nanotech Lipo.

I thought it was the overkill esc that was sucking up too much power but the engine was getting quite hot as well.

I thought this could be due to my gearing or mesh so I was playing around with the drivetrain when I noticed there was a lot of resistance as it went around in one spot.

Last night I loosened all the belt tensioners and set the rear diff on the loosest setting.

Its nice and loose up untill it gets to the same spot and then tightens up again.
There is alot less resistance now but the belt flaps about quite abit.

I also tried putting on the belt that came with the cs kit but that was an even tighter fit.

Tonight im going to see if i can nudge it down one tooth or so when its at the tight spot again.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's a very strange problem. If the belt is getting tight and then loose over and over again my guess is that you're running a spool in back and the smaller CS pulley you installed isn't centered on the shaft somehow. Another VERY remote possibility is you have a ball bearing that's lost half its balls but it's still working somehow. Maybe you forgot to install the bearings that go inside the diff when you installed the CS kit?

This needs hands-on help. If you're anywhere in the Chicago area we could meet at a track somewhere and I could help, otherwise I would say take it to your local hobby shop or track, somewhere you could find someone familiar with Tamiya stuff.

I'm getting to know Tamiya stuff pretty well and you're welcome to send me a PM whenever.

Originally Posted by CompactDisk
I have only used it for about 2 packs so far and hadn't noticed the problem beforehand.

However I am getting severely reduced run times.
I run a 10.5t 120a esc and motor combo and I get about 2 hours out of a 5300mah Turnigy Nanotech Lipo.

I thought it was the overkill esc that was sucking up too much power but the engine was getting quite hot as well.

I thought this could be due to my gearing or mesh so I was playing around with the drivetrain when I noticed there was a lot of resistance as it went around in one spot.

Last night I loosened all the belt tensioners and set the rear diff on the loosest setting.

Its nice and loose up untill it gets to the same spot and then tightens up again.
There is alot less resistance now but the belt flaps about quite abit.

I also tried putting on the belt that came with the cs kit but that was an even tighter fit.

Tonight im going to see if i can nudge it down one tooth or so when its at the tight spot again.