R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   ECX Torment's stock rcvr not fit for transponders (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/595238-ecx-torments-stock-rcvr-not-fit-transponders.html)

Golddrakken 02-04-2012 06:03 AM

ECX Torment's stock rcvr not fit for transponders

FYI for anyone else who has a stock ECX Torment with the Spektrum SR200 rcvr -- you can not hook up a transponder to this rcvr...I bought the transponder and found out after the fact that I needed to have an empty plug on the rcvr to plug the transponder into for power. (SR200 only has 2, one for throttle/one for steering).

AMains Hobbies has the Spektrum SR300 rcvr for $34.99 + free shipping.

Others who know more about R/C sport probably already know this, but this FYI is for other beginners like me, so you'll know you have to get a new rcvr to hook up the transponder, or an alternate way of getting power to the transponder.

mjc597 02-04-2012 10:56 AM

you might be able to use a "Y" servo extension cable to hook the servo and transponder into the same port..just an idea..not sure if it would work without causing problems..wouldn't think the transponder uses much power to run..

elk 02-04-2012 11:50 AM

With a Castle BEC you can bypass the ESC power supply and run items directly from the BEC leads such as the transponder once your voltage is set. It will cost $20.

Another option (and I hate to say it as a 3/4PK user) is getting a flashed FlySky GT3B radio for $30 with way more tuning features than the stock Spektrum.

Golddrakken 02-04-2012 11:54 AM

@ MJC597: I actually wondered if that were possible...but went ahead and ordered the new rcvr...will experiment with the SR200 and try the y-extension.

Paperwork that came with the transponder lists:

"Power consumption: approx 7.5mA @ 6VDC". (It's a MRT brand PTX-20)

Thank you for the advice...I'm brand new to this R/C sport -- this ECX Torment is the first R/C vehicle I've ever owned and I've only had it about 4 weeks, so I have a lot to learn.

Thank you,

freaksofnature 02-04-2012 04:57 PM

have you tried plugging the transponder in to the bind port on the rx?

mjc597 02-04-2012 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by freaksofnature (Post 10278162)
have you tried plugging the transponder in to the bind port on the rx?

x2....nevr thought of that..plugging it into the bind port on the rx will work..no need for an extension!!

Golddrakken 02-05-2012 01:30 AM

No, I did not think to try that...

Thank you,

freaksofnature 02-05-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by mjc597 (Post 10278294)
x2....nevr thought of that..plugging it into the bind port on the rx will work..no need for an extension!!

Originally Posted by Golddrakken (Post 10279636)
No, I did not think to try that...

Thank you,

most transponders just need power so i dont see any reason why the bind port wont work. i know on my crawlers i have my lights plugged in there. lmk know if that works for you guys

Golddrakken 02-06-2012 01:56 AM

I went ahead and plugged the transponder into the bind socket on the rcvr...transponder's light came on, but I can't tell if it is working properly until I go to the track on a race day to verify it's signal is being sent/picked up, etc.

The truck seems to be running properly with the transponder plugged into the bind socket...ran 2 5000 mAH batteries through it Sunday morning and nothing seems amiss thus far.

Thank you,

Golddrakken 02-23-2012 08:14 PM

After plugging the transponder into the bind port I used it at a local track and the transponder functioned properly.

Thank you for the responses/advice.