Wiki Posts
Search

Second hand nitro motor tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Second hand nitro motor tuning

Hi I have purchased a second hand thunder tiger 28 motor and I want to try to get into racing. I am not very good at tuning as my past has shown me. However this motor seems to run fairly well. I would like some advice on tuning to get the best out of it. I run 20% nitro fuel and I know that the motor was being used with 25% nitro fuel. So what do I need to do to tune for my fuel? I gave it a run and it started and ran fairly well but when in high revs it started to bog down very slightly. It never stalled. It will sit and idle fairly well and when I stop it by pinching fuel line, it revs very slightly higher then stops within a matter of seconds. Do I need to change anything?
All help appreciated
Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Check out this guide to familiarize your self with the fundamentals. If your new to nitro, it will be a lot easier to assist you if you understand the advice we give you.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Wow that may take a while to get my head around all that!!! But very good explanations!! I will be reading this over and over again, but can I ask what I described in first post, does it sound like any problems?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

By your explanation, it doesn't seem like it would be an issue. As long as you aren't running it too lean and your temps are good then you're motor should be fine.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Tech Addict

thank you for your help and your information provided. Unfortunately i do not spend enough time on nitro cars to get my head around it properly. It can be confusing sometimes. I am off to read and read!! haha
Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just my .02,
If you think it idles fine, and takes off with power after sitting at idle for 5 seconds then your low end should be fine. Also stopping the engine by pinching the fuel line, causes the engine to lean out temporarily - not a good thing. Use something - small piece of wood, your shoe, or ... to stop the flywheel on the bottom side of the truck. This will add life to your glow plugs !

If you find it bogging a little on the high end, it is likely too rich. Get youself a temp gun - there are some decent priced ones out there - and tune by tempurature. Warm the engine up to temp 220-240, before making adjustments. If you are temping at 240 I would not recommend changing anything. If you are 210 - 220 you can lean the high speed needle ( turn the high speed needle in, in one hour increments), run for a few more minutes and check temp, repeat until you achieve your desired temp.

NOTE : the Thunder tiger 28 is not the engine to be "racing" with, its great to get you started and familiar with the track, start your learning curve on tuning an engine, but to race it can be frustrating as it just does not have the power that you need to clear most jumps (doubles or table tops)

Good luck !
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hints

There's old school and then there's new school. If you don't have the inclination or cash to buy a temp gauge and other crap with, there's other ways. First, most standard settings are about 2 1/2 turns out for a baseline. Low end is set when you punch it and you get a very brief puff of exhaust with good snap. Top is set when it doesn't sound throaty or nose over at higher rpms. Another way to check heat is the old spit test...dribble some spit on the head, if it slowly bubbles off, you're right on the money...if it boils, you're too lean, and if it just sits there, too rich. Last, almost any engine can be a good engine if you have a dremel, some time and some patience. Disassemble your engine, check for uneven seams, ridges...grind out the exhaust port to match the opening, grind out the intake side to match the in port..you can get excellent performance out of the most basic three port engine without spending a ton of cash.