Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Creation vs Novak?? $150 systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Questions?? Castle Creation vs Novak?? $150 systems

I'm looking at cheaper motor/ESC combos so I can get 2 motors instead of one top of the end motor..
One for short course and one for touring car and eventually swapped between the TC and a buggy periodicly.

I would really like for the motors to be very competetive

I'm looking for 17.5 motors

Sidwinder SV2
Sidewinder SCT

Novak/Havov 17.5

How much KV = 17.5? I don't understand why some companies list only kv and others list them as +/-17.5

Or are there any other Motor/ESC combos you would recomend?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Since you're asking about 17.5, I have to assume you're going to be doing organized racing, therefore, the answer is "neither".

The Sidewinder stuff is sensorless and by the rules, all approved 17.5 motors are sensored.

Novak's stuff lives off a 25-year old reputation and that's about all I feel like saying about Novak right now.

Assuming my assumption that you want to race is correct, be aware that the ESC is often more important than the motor in determining your competitiveness.

As such, I'd recommend looking for used stuff in your budget range. You'll be much happier with a high-end used LRP for example that you would be with either of those.

Kv rating doesn't really matter in a 17.5 class because 17.5 is a specification in and of itself.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MarkA
Since you're asking about 17.5, I have to assume you're going to be doing organized racing, therefore, the answer is "neither".

The Sidewinder stuff is sensorless and by the rules, all approved 17.5 motors are sensored.

Novak's stuff lives off a 25-year old reputation and that's about all I feel like saying about Novak right now.

Assuming my assumption that you want to race is correct, be aware that the ESC is often more important than the motor in determining your competitiveness.

As such, I'd recommend looking for used stuff in your budget range. You'll be much happier with a high-end used LRP for example that you would be with either of those.

Kv rating doesn't really matter in a 17.5 class because 17.5 is a specification in and of itself.
Thanks again Mark! I completely forgot about sensored/sensorless. And you are correct, this would be for racing.

And I do already have a Novak/Havok 13.5 but I've never been impressed with it. It seems underpowered and, after rumors, I'm afraid the ESC is going to randomly die at any time.

I guess I will go with a higher end and swap it between cars different race days.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Novak havoc is a good system I've ran two with no problems no issues;
1: is a year old no issues at all
2: is one with x-drive also no issues smooth power had for a few months works great.

5 guys at my truck all run Novak havoc no issues as well.

I've had Two tekins die on me as well as two mambas
Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Novaks are great no doubt... but in all honesty overall, ive had much better performance and luck with Castle. I've ran my local outdoor track on a pretty shitty day and mud was ever where on my slash. My castle sidewinder sct esc pretty bad, but nothing at all happened to it. However a guy who had a slash 4x4 killed his novac esc. Not sure what model, but anyways it died. Maybe he just had bad luck... but ive heard quite a few more horror stories with Novak.

Last edited by RyanKao53; 01-29-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: forgot words