Wiki Posts
Search

MP9 or MBX6R

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation MP9 or MBX6R

Hello everybody. Im looking for my first 1/8 nitro buggy kit. Right now im torn between the mbx6r and the mp9. I know the quality is almost the same, but what would you guys recommend? Im terms of handling, maintenance, spare parts, which one is the better for a first timer like me. For now budget isnt a problem. I hope you pros out there can help me
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MP9 or Mugen? well, i had the same 'problem' like you. Except that it was between the Durango, MP9, the Mugen, the T8 Pro, The XRay 808, The Rc8 and the Losi8. whoops! I forgot about the Cobra 811

I nailed the two choices between the MP9 and the 811. Mainly bcoz spare parts are readily available for both cars and its much better to use a car that you can share setups.

Either way, whether you go Mugen or Kyosho it wont be a wrong choice. One gripe about my MP9 is the UGLY yellow plastic you use to set up roll centers, bcoz in my opinion it makes it stand out from all the metal. Mugen shares some parts with other buggies (Team C) so you might want to look into that as well.

What engines do you have in mind?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I know ur talkin' about nitro but I was in the same boat as you except I was torn between MBX6E, 8ight-E 2.0 & MP9. I ultimately went w/the Mugen for many good reasons but I went w/a Tekin 2050kv motor/esc setup & its freakin' powerful but so smooth & the suspension is incredibly dialed in from the factory its amazing! With Mugen or Kyosho can't go wrong, I don't care if there' s a lack of parts @ my LHS, if I'm happy w/it, that's all that matters. G/L w/your decision & happy racing!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

You couldn't have picked two finer buggies to choose from.

I'm a Kyosho guy but you can flip a coin and call it. You'll always have a winner!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

For the engines im considering nova rossi or maybe sirio. But down at the local track, the guys keep telling me that the kyosho spare parts are quite expensive. Is this true?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, Kyosho parts are more expensive. But you'll need less of them because they're high quality. You won't find a 1/8 Kyosho racer complaining about breaking too many parts, that's for sure.

Novarossi engine all the way!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well i had a bad experience with a kyosho rtr. Bent shock towers, broken suspension holders, punctured shocks. Thats what Im worried about.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by p@p@nut
Well i had a bad experience with a kyosho rtr. Bent shock towers, broken suspension holders, punctured shocks. Thats what Im worried about.
It's unfortunate you had a bad experience.

Sorry, I was only referring to the 1/8 race stuff and not bashers. I do think to keep the costs down in the RTR stuff sacrifices are made. I doubt you'll be bending an MP9 shock tower anytime soon.

If you compare the parts of the kit to the RTR stuff you'll notice the differences, hence the much larger price tag.

Don't let your negative RTR experience sway you from Kyosho. Go back and ask the guys at the track, apart from parts being expensive, what they think of the quality of the kit buggies.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down

Okay, so since this will be my first kit, the mp9 se or tki2?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by p@p@nut
Okay, so since this will be my first kit, the mp9 se or tki2?
If money truly isn't an issue go with the TKi2. Why not have the latest and greatest.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thx for the advice bros. Really been a great help