Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undecided newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Undecided newbie

I looking at getting in to the hobby but do not know electric or nitro. I know I want to stay in the 1/10 scale and I want speed. I was thinking nitro till I went in to a local rc shop today. I was talking with the guy and he kept going on about todays electric rc's kick nitro's butt. The truck he was showing me was Team associated SC10R5 with a brushless motor and lipo battery. He said this truck will blow by any nitro. I asked him how fast it goes he told me about 45mph nitro's that i have looked at avg. 60mph so I dont understand that one. I really wasnt looking at getting a truck i wanted a car unless there is a difference in speed. Then he was going on about nitro's are a pain to tune and u got to tune it every time the weather changes. I watched a video on youtube on how to tune it didnt look like that big of deal and to me that kinda seems like that would be part of the fun to the whole thing. I don't know which way to go any help would be appreciated sorry for rambling on.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Ostromk
I looking at getting in to the hobby but do not know electric or nitro. I know I want to stay in the 1/10 scale and I want speed. I was thinking nitro till I went in to a local rc shop today. I was talking with the guy and he kept going on about todays electric rc's kick nitro's butt. The truck he was showing me was Team associated SC10R5 with a brushless motor and lipo battery. He said this truck will blow by any nitro. I asked him how fast it goes he told me about 45mph nitro's that i have looked at avg. 60mph so I dont understand that one. I really wasnt looking at getting a truck i wanted a car unless there is a difference in speed. Then he was going on about nitro's are a pain to tune and u got to tune it every time the weather changes. I watched a video on youtube on how to tune it didnt look like that big of deal and to me that kinda seems like that would be part of the fun to the whole thing. I don't know which way to go any help would be appreciated sorry for rambling on.
For a brand new rookie, I would agree with your hobby shop clerk and go with electric. I have owned numerous RC vehicles over the past 15 years. I have had Nitro and Electric, and I can honestly tell you that I will NEVER own a nitro again. They can be a pain in the butt to tune. If the temperature changes, you have to re-tune...if you take the car to a different place to drive it and the altitude is different, you have to re-tune. Nitro cars are messy (very VERY oily) Nitro cars also cost alot more to drive by the time you factor in reciever battery and charger, the cost of buying GloPlugs all the time, and the cost of the Nitro itself. Electric cars ARE faster than nitro nowadays. I have a Traxxas Stampede Moster Truck that will do 60 mph out of the box and all for $300 brand new! Electric is quiet and clean, and all you have to do is charge the battery. Let me tell you, 60 mph in a monster truck is batshit crazy fast! If you mistune a nitro engine, it will blow up and cost you a very expensive trip to the hobby shop whereas brushless electric motors are virtually maintenance free. As I said, after 15 years in the hobby and owning over 30 cars and trucks, I will never go back to Nitros because electric will be far faster. For example, Traxxas is about to release the EO1 1/7th scale car that will do 100 mph OUT OF THE BOX!!! It is an electric...NO nitro motor is capable of that out of the box....not even close!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As being semi new with electric I will hit on the Nitro.

Nitro Pro's

Sound cool
Fast
Most have and can be 2 speed clutch
Quick acceleration
only real battery you need to worry about is for your electronics and reviver.

Nitro con's

fuel cost around 20 bucks a can. You can not use normal gas in a .18 engine.(cost around 20 bucks for under a gallon)
loud. Most neighbors can and do complain.
Engine mataince can be a pain.
Not noob friendly tuning and braking in is not easy and one miss turn of the needle could mess up your car and prevent starts.
Weather change means more tuning.

Electric pros

brushed motor easy to brake in. search youtub and do not be afraid of the water.
Over all cheaper to run. Charge battery and go. 15 min later repeat.
great top speed
start sets run about 200 ready to run. (Nitro about 250-300)

Electric cons

Battery life depending on make can be a paint at anywhere from 5-40 min run time.
Low end 200 buck RTR, people tend to out grow them and need faster.
top of the line Brush less motors are not cheep. ESC or electronic speed controls are just as expensive.
Most starter kits can not run brush less motors with out major drive train and battery upgrades.

For the most part I own a HPI E10. great starter for under 200 but can cost you upwards of 200+ for just chassis upgrades and that's not converting it to brush less motor and ESC. Not to mention they do not have a 2.4 transmitter.

Advice: Do not go for speed out of the gate when new to the hobby. that would be like giving an 18 year old who just got his license a super car. only bad things will happen. start small then work your way up. you will not only learn a few things but also be a better driver. remember this is not your walmart RC. think of this as an expensive toy.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will tell anyone starting out to go electric for the reasons mentioned. However I also tell them to don't get caught up in top speed numbers. They're usually inflated by manufacturers and even if you could reach it what good will it do if you can't drive it?

Just want to note I have yet to feel the same adrenaline rush that I get from a 30min nitro main in any electric class I've ever run. I enjoy electric racing somewhat but consider it a filler class outdoors in the summer.

Engine maintenance and clutch tuning can be a pain....only if you don't know what you're doing nor want to take the time to learn. People shouldn't be intimidated by nitro. It's an awesome spectator class too. Even though electric is faster (our 1/10 nitro versus open mod TC) ask any spectator which they think is faster. They'll all say the gas cars. Why? Perception is reality. Noise equals speed