Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newb - Startup Guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newb - Startup Guide

Hello.. I am a total newb when it comes to R/C cars. I am looking to get started into this great hobby. I'm thinking of going into the On-road touring class. What is a great "starter" ? I would like something I build myself not an RTR(lol.. learned that abbreviation today). Also how do these things work? You purchase a kit and then but a body? What is the price range?

Thanks in advance.. Any tips would be wonderful. There should be a dictionary or an encyclopedia for all the abbreviations and models for these things..
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Not a lot are offered in kit form any more. But I've owned a lot of the Associated (AE) brand touring cars (TC) and they offer the team versions in kit form. I'm not sure if anyone else does at this point. I didn't even see a TC on Losi's webpage. From there you would have to buy your electronics of choice, and start building. As for a price I would not have a clue, as I left TC's about 6-7 years ago.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

I think sakura zero S or tamiya TT01 are good for beginner
they are not premium priced kit
try hobbywing ezrun for ESC/motor combo and get a lower kv motor for lower speed
Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the reply.. keep the suggestions coming..
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree a TT-01 is a good starter. As well a TA06 or TB-03. All Tamiyas. They all have 'R' versions but I would stick with the basic kits for now. These entry level cars will come with a body (usually a GT2 or GT3 style). But you could buy and mount any 190mm body from any manufacturer as well if you wish.

Whatever you go with I recommend you get it from your local hobby store. Not only will they help you out with setups they will also have spare parts on hand for the inevitable mishap.

One thing....don't get too caught up with upgrades and option stuff. It's too easy to spend as much on those as you paid for the whole car. As you feel more comfortable and want more tuning options as you outgrow the car just buy a better car.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Why don't you think about nitro? Smell and motor sound are awesome

More pains but more satisfactions
Old 12-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rubio
Why don't you think about nitro? Smell and motor sound are awesome

More pains but more satisfactions

I agree, nitro is way more cool
But for someone just starting out it might be a difficult road to travel unless you bash/race with an experienced nitro buddy. The last thing you'd want to have happen is to be discouraged from the whole RC scene.

I say get your feet wet with the electric stuff first and hopefully later you'll catch the nitro fever. I'll warn you though, once you catch it, it will never leave
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Maybe in the future I will try out Nitro but for now I think it would be good to start with electric. Thank you for the suggestions. I was looking at the tamiya website and there are so many different types of tt-01.. There are tt-01es, tt-01 type r, tt-01d, etc... Does it matter which "model" I get? I just want to assemble something with my own hands and race it once in a while at some indoor track.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, I forgot. Tamiya does have many flavors of the same car catering to different wants. Get the cheapest one they have. The standard TT-01, no letters (R version is with hop ups, D version is drift).
This kit will be easy to understand and assemble because of its simplicity.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Wink

Great info.. Okay so once I've decided on the actual model.. Let's say the tt-01.. What doesn't it come with? Meaning, what else will I need to purchase to get started? Just trying to check budget wise.. Seeing how much each component cost.. What I can afford now and what I need to buy in the future..
Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Most Touring Cars are kits.

If you think you might want to get into racing eventually, don't get a TT-01. Even with every hop-up Tamiya make for it, it still wouldn't be competitive and would end up costing more than most high end kits. 3racing's Sakura Zero S is a much better entry level kit. The Zero S can be turned into a Sakura Zero piece by piece if you want. You can probably get everything you need to get started for under $500. For a competition grade TC with high end electronics, it's easy to spend over $1000.

Nitro TC is all but dead. Hardly anywhere you can run them and they are slower than electric. Personally I find the sound of nitro one of the most annoying sounds known to man. It isn't a nice engine sound. It sounds like a wasp buzzing around the mouthpiece of a megaphone.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

sometimes TT-01 comes with old brushed ESC/motor
buy a kit that HAS NO ESC/MOTOR included
you will need to buy:
-Tx/Rx
-ESC/motor
-servo
-battery pack
-charger
-tires
Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, you will need:

Servo (standard ones would be fine, you may even get one with a radio kit)
ESC: for 1/10 brushed or brushless (of course to match the motor type)
Motor: any 540 brushed or brushless motor (of course to match the ESC type)
Battery: I recommend Lipos because prices have come down over the last couple years. Only use NIMH if someone gave it to you for free so don't waste your time on this otherwise. In any case you'll need a 7.4v stick pack. More packs = more runs
Charger: Something basic that will charge your 7.4v packs at 1C (ie. a 4000mah pack to charge at 4A, a 5000mah pack to charge at 5A, etc.) Don't hesitate to buy one used. Some good deals to be had out there.
Radio/Receiver: Since you're starting out, don't get anything fancy, even a cheap AM radio combo would be ok. You won't have the adjustability of a good radio but you're not at that stage yet. FYI, a dirt cheap 2.4 system is much better than the best AM radio.

Also get some decent quality tools. It's tough to put together a car with allen keys and dollar store screwdrivers. Believe me this will pay off in the end. Even if you decide not to stay with RC your tools will still be worth money and can be moved if needs be.

Note, some standard TT01 kits do come with a basic Tamiya brushed ESC. It's actually not bad at all and work well with the standard brushed Tamiya black and silver can motors.

I can name some name brands for the above but do suggest you talk to the chaps at your hobby store. You may even get a combo package deal. Also assembling the car is one thing but you may need help with the electronics. Especially if there's soldering involved and haven't done that before.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Associated TC

I would purchase the TC5 or TC6 from associated.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by tbrymer
I would purchase the TC5 or TC6 from associated.
X2 I agree. Almost any hobby shop worth shopping at carries AE parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.