Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Good battery/charger Combo? >

Good battery/charger Combo?

Good battery/charger Combo?

Old 12-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good battery/charger Combo?

Im getting a stampede soon, and the only thing i need is the 7.2v 6cell battery and charger right? What would be a good mid range battery and charger to get?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Suspended

Last edited by cr250; 10-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Since it sounds like you are gettin' the Stampede as a "first car", you would want something reliable such as the Duratrax Intellipeak line of chargers. They are very cost effective also, where as the integy line can go well over $100.

For a battery pack, you might want to stick with regular stick packs first and gradually go into something more complicated. For stick packs, Epic has a 3000mah pack for $18.99 on TowerHobbies.com, This should give you plenty of run time. If you want to run something better in quality, I would go with Spc batts. as CR250 said or PromatchRacing.com batteries which are excellent batteries at a decent price.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

What's the budget?

Paul TC4 suggestions about batteries are good.

About chargers; Cheap budget chargers, are hard on batteries. WHatever you choose, DONT get a timer based charger; It'll fast ruin the packs and wont give good performance.

If you plan on staying in the hobby for quite a long time, you should get a decent charger from the very beginning. Faster car and longer battery life are the benefits. An extremely good charger is the LRP Pulsar Sport, which can be found for 100$ + power supply.

If the budget dont allows this, the Duratrax line is a good option.

Also consider, that the higher charge rate, the faster the pack will be charged. With 6 amps, it takes approx. 40 minutes to fully charge an empty 3300 pack. With 4 amps, it'll be close to one hour.

But tell us the budget, then we better can help.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Tech Rookie

I was really hoping to not spend to much on the battery and charger, i was hoping for $50 or less. is that possible?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

In that case, I would definately go second-hand. Yet it might be hard, and I would priority the charger quality over battery quality - you can always get more and better batts later on.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

since you're just starting out I can understand wanting to put somewhat of a budget together. The $50.00 will come up short though when you talk batteries and chargers. I was at a lhs about an hour ago and looked at a Venom 3000 mah stick pack for $29.95. Definetly buy a good charger and you will save money in the long run. One of our chargers is a Duratrax Intellipeak Digital which we have used for about 2 years. The Duratrax chargers are built by Integy so they are a quality piece. LRP, Novak, MRC and others make good chargers also, and most can charge either nicd or nimh batteries.

As far as batteries are concerned SPC and Promatch have great batteries. I was at a lhs about an hour ago and looked at a Venom 3000 mah stick pack for $29.95. I have purchased from cheapbatterypacks.com and gotten great deals. I even bought a pair of 3000 mah on ebay for 29.95 as an experiment and they did okay but fizzled after about 2 months and wouldn't accept a decent charge anymore. Even our 1900 shark battery from Duratrax lasted longer

You made a great choice of a truck, buy decent batteries and a good charger and you will enjoy it even more.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

id say break the budget some you can go with the duratrax Pihranna Digital Peak for $50 yeah there goes the budget but a great charger for the price.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML

and get a Epic 3000mAh Sport Pack $18
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXERB5&P=ML

Yeah thats only 1 battery but it will do for now and a decent Mah rating. The charger will charge any higher quality batteried you might want later on when you get some money but that battery would be ok as a backup practice battery.

Thats prob $75 shipped from tower
Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

i use the Integy 16x7v6 charger and epic monstor metal batteries

best batts and charger ever