Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for help setting up a specific body with LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb Looking for help setting up a specific body with LEDs

So ive been wanting to do this since before i got my 1st chassis but i need some help.

I only just finished painting my second body and have some special requirements for this project.

I need help finding an RX7 body. One of the older ones with the flip up head lights. That or a Toyota Corolla Levin/Trueno (AE86) with flip up headlights.

Im gonna be using this body on my TA05 V2 R Drift Built Chassis.
Im using a Fly Sky GT3 B with the rx that it came with. So i believe i can hook up a third servo to control the pop up headlights if im not mistaken.

I have no clue how i would go about setting this up, or even where to put the servo. Are there any guides you guys can link me to for projects similar to this? Are there kits out there for this?

On top of that i want to have the light encasing, i forget what the term is for them, but its the part that you stick in the body so it looks like there are real headlights/taillights as oppose to a sticker.

Then i need an led kit that i can hook up with all of this, that will allow me to have bright enough headlights to light up the road in darkness for a good 8 inches or more, hopefully more like 12".
I also want brake lights which will actually work.
Turn signals would be nice but thats just a bonus and sounds like more work than it would be worth.

I also need to get rear view mirrors on this thing, and i would kill for a realistic grill of some sort instead of just a sticker. The rx7 trueno idea is up in the air, it could honestly be any car that has flip up headlights, ill even take a miata, but i think that would look terrible made of lexan lol.

So does anyone have any idea how i should go about this project? Any links i should check out? Any recommended Led controllers/led kits? Or possibly an already assembled kit like this?

Feel free to ask me any questions on how im gonna tackle this project. I already have tons of ideas that i wouldnt wanna type up to save you guys some reading. :P

-Thanks for your time
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LED

google up GT Power LED Kit for RC... youtube it n u can see a truck demo of its function... 12 led n u can work marvels on it... or if u would spend more, search for Darkdrifter LED kit for RC...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

I suppose that one of the difficulties will be to design a lever assembly for the headlight bucket's that will not distort or destroy the bucket's during a frontal impact.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

the 3 racing kit has working signal lights and working break lights as well!

But i use the Dark Drifter Kit!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Here is your best bet for an RX-7 body from Tamiya. HPI also makes a few, but the Tamiya body comes with seperately molded pop-up light buckets. Getting them to actually pop-up will be the issue, as it will still require a bit of modification to the body regardless of which one you use. It also includes seperately molded rear-view mirrors

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51270
Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Awesome sorry for the late response, i did some research checked out some of the links and then just noticed the last post when i was checking up on here.

Way too tired to continue looking stuff up, but all this info helps a lot. I was starting to think this was gonna wind up not being worth it.

Thanks guys