R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Replacing Slash Motor - Titan 550 12T

Hi All,

Ok i have a slash and i think the motor needs replacing....so my question is, whats the best thing to replace it with?

I only use it for bashing, so im not looking to spend alot....actually i was just going to get another Titan 550 12T motor again....but thought for the same price...can i get something better? or even change to brushless?

not looking for the best thing going, just good reliable alternatives to the original motor.

Look forward to your help and advise.

Best Regards,
Martin
halo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo123 View Post
Hi All,

Ok i have a slash and i think the motor needs replacing....so my question is, whats the best thing to replace it with?

I only use it for bashing, so im not looking to spend alot....actually i was just going to get another Titan 550 12T motor again....but thought for the same price...can i get something better? or even change to brushless?

not looking for the best thing going, just good reliable alternatives to the original motor.

Look forward to your help and advise.

Best Regards,
Martin
The upgrade to brushless will cost you $100+ (CC Sidewinder SCT Combo) if you only want to spend $20 then your best bet is to get another Titan.

If you go hunting you may be able to find a deal on a serviceable brushed motor but since you're posting these questions you're probably better off with the Titan IMHO.

Hope it helps

Star
Starlite033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you want cheap, get another Titan - they'll last longer if you clean them every so often using something like motor spray and then re-oil the bushings before you run it again.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks for the replies....ok so say i decide to upgrade to brushless etc...

for $100 what exact parts do i need? and any recommendations on where i can get them?

Cheers
Martin
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo123 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the replies....ok so say i decide to upgrade to brushless etc...

for $100 what exact parts do i need? and any recommendations on where i can get them?

Cheers
Martin
You never really specified what Slash, but if it's a 2WD your only option for ~100 is the Castle Creation Sidewinder SCT Combo.

Prices are on the way up but if you troll Ebay you should be able to find for around that price tag. See here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASTLE-CREAT...item1c1e3098d6

Be warned prices are likely to climb to ~$130-140. I bought mine only last week for $99.

If you have a 4WD it will be more expensive because the Sidewinder ESC will not handle the load. In this case I would buy the Castle 1410 3800Kv motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item2c5d76202d

and a Hobbywing SC8 ESC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-EZ...item3a61f373c3

That's just my opinion but it would be hard to do much cheaper either way.

Star
Starlite033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

yeah its a 2wd slash, so the castle sidewinder sct is the way to go.....

ok so just wondering what sort of performance difference am i likely to see on a standard 2wd slash with nimh 4600 batteries.....changing from titan to sidewinder sct?

appreciate your comments.

cheers
Martin
Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Like nite and day pal. I swapped out the stock 12T motor and brushed ESC that came in my Losi XXX-SCB to the Castle Sidewinder SCT combo and it went from a quick little buggy to being a really FAST little buggy. So much so that I quickly destroyed the original stock spur gear. I replaced it with a Losi 86 tooth Kevlar spur and now it runs like a champ. If you really want to see BIG difference, put a 5000 mah 40C Lipo in that thing after the upgrade.....watch out!!
Chucksolo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

wow so it really is that much of a difference......ok now im dying to find out what its like.....

for the slash do i need to get anything else? as mentioned its stock standard
2wd slash that i bought in 2009. Do i just get the sidewinder sct combo and swap the motor and esc over? or do i definately need some other bits?

Cheers
Martin
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Should only need a plug soldered on it to match your batteries, some servo tape to mount the ESC, and a 48 pitch pinion gear or two. Check castle's site for gearing recommendations, and be sure to check the motor temperature frequently after installing it. 150-160 after a good run is about the sweet spot. I don't run mine past that. If it's getting hotter than that, you'll need to go smaller on the pinion or larger on the spur.

I screwed a flat piece of Lexan left over from trimming a body out on to where the old XL5 was mounted on my son's. Made a good mounting point to tape the ESC.

Remember the castle stuff (and most other aftermarket manufacturer's stuff) is NOT waterproof, but then again neither are the bearings. Keep it dry and the temps under 160 and it should last you a long time.
Associated B44.1, SC10, T4.1, RC8Te, RC18B2
Axial SCX10, Wraith, AX10
TocSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Before you set your gear mesh check to see if the spur gear is running true and does not wobble.If it does, your mesh will not be the same during the rotation of the spur and could cause the gear's to bind.This is very common on the Traxxas spur gear's.
TheTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My 2Wd Slash was converted to run brushless out of the box. This was before Castle SCT offerings were available and I used a Sidewinder/6900kv which was way too fast and basically uncontrollable. I'm running a Velineion 3500kv motor with it now and its much better.

I don't see any mention on batteries but to get the best from BL you need to run lipo. Lipo requires a lipo capable charger, so those are almost necessary additional bits to go brushless. You can get lipos for cheap from Hobbyking's USA warehouse as well as a cheap lipo charger, but this will be more $$s on top of the BL esc and motor.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links