Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya - TT01E vs TA05V2 vs FF03 vs M-05 - what the difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tamiya - TT01E vs TA05V2 vs FF03 vs M-05 - what the difference

Hi All,

Im looking into on road R/C's and im wondering what the differences are....?

These are all Tamiya....

TT01E
TA05V2
FF03
M-05

Ok so what exactly are these four? in basic terms? and also in more detailed terms?

also are there direct competition for each one?
Ie HPI Cup racer....etc etc.

Thanks and i look forward to reading your info and replies

Best Regards,
Martin
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by halo123
Hi All,

Im looking into on road R/C's and im wondering what the differences are....?

These are all Tamiya....

TT01E
TA05V2
FF03
M-05

Ok so what exactly are these four? in basic terms? and also in more detailed terms?

also are there direct competition for each one?
Ie HPI Cup racer....etc etc.

Thanks and i look forward to reading your info and replies

Best Regards,
Martin
That's a big question, one could go on for hours.

I'll give you a head start.

TT01E - Entry Level Shaft Driven 4WD Touring Car, nothing fancy but it's a great first kit and intro to R/C. Inexpensive by comparison.

TA05V2 - Competition Level Belt Driven 4WD Touring Car, will cost ~twice as much as a TT01E.

M-05 - Chassis for Compact Cars, not very familiar with them but it's a lot of Minis and Fiat 500's. Lots of options available.

FF-03 - FWD Drive Touring Car. Again not my cup of tea, but I'm willing to bet it could be fun.

More info is available here, the link is dated but it should lead you to the Tamiya Site which will have other info as well.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/beginner/chassis.htm

As for how they compare? Don't worry about it. Buy what your LHS stocks so you can always get the spares you need.

At least that's my 2cents.

Star
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

I have a lot of experience with the TA05v.II and the M-05.

The M-05 seems like an almost un-breakable beast of a RC. It's a ton of fun to both race and bash. It's a very inexpensive RC. You will only want to upgrade the Bearings to ball bearings - a must, shocks to oil filled shocks - for better performance and maybe the steering components to aluminum-not a must. Then anything else you might want to upgrade. Mine is stock besides the bearings and it's great.
This class is the most fun to me.

The TA05v.II is great for serious racing(I love mine). It will get expensive. In parts and hop-ups. There's a ton of hop-ups you may want to get but it's up to how you drive for which ones are necessary to you.
It's already a great racer stock, but the hop-ups really help. I have upgraded mine a lot.

I don't know anything about the other two cars though.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

The TA05v.II could be in the touring car(TC) class and the M-05's have their own class that only with other Tamiya M-Chasis cars can race in - called M-chasis or Mini class I think?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Definitely go with the M05. I dont know where you live but here in so cal there are always a class and its packed. Theres a lot of parts availability and if I had known I would have gone with the M05 out of the gate instead of the M03. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YankeeFan123
Definitely go with the M05. I dont know where you live but here in so cal there are always a class and its packed. Theres a lot of parts availability and if I had known I would have gone with the M05 out of the gate instead of the M03. Just my 2 cents
+1

I got started in RC with the Swift. That class is packed and is very beginner friendly.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamNuts
+1

I got started in RC with the Swift. That class is packed and is very beginner friendly.
Yep. Its like the SC of onroad No offense.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

And Im a beginner in that class. And its A LOT of fun.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by YankeeFan123
Yep. Its like the SC of onroad No offense.
It really is, that's why it's so awesome!
...Or maybe SC is just like offroad Tamiya M class
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
It really is, that's why it's so awesome!
...Or maybe SC is just like offroad Tamiya M class
Touche
Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

ok so ive narrowed it down to the TT01 and the M05 .

im actually thinking to get one of each.

ok so heres my thinking.....i really love some of the bodies available for the tt01 , having an m05 will allow me to race in the local mini race should i decide to down the track.....having both enables me to see what they are both like and opens up alot of options in terms of different bodies down the track.

ok so what i want to know is, just for bashing around and having some fun will the two run ok against each other? as in will one have a massive advantage over the other? or will it be swings and roundabouts in terms of who would win....im planning to run 1 with my son or sometimes a brother in law....going to the local track but just having fun...not serious racing.

im keen to have 1 of each as opposed to 2 of the same......mainly to do with body shells available to each....but also for variety. but i want to be able to run against each other and not have 1 car that will always be the "losers" car.

appreciate your comments.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

ok so ive narrowed it down to the TT01 and the M05 .

im actually thinking to get one of each.

ok so heres my thinking.....i really love some of the bodies available for the tt01 , having an m05 will allow me to race in the local mini race should i decide to down the track.....having both enables me to see what they are both like and opens up alot of options in terms of different bodies down the track.

ok so what i want to know is, just for bashing around and having some fun will the two run ok against each other? as in will one have a massive advantage over the other? or will it be swings and roundabouts in terms of who would win....im planning to run 1 with my son or sometimes a brother in law....going to the local track but just having fun...not serious racing.

im keen to have 1 of each as opposed to 2 of the same......mainly to do with body shells available to each....but also for variety. but i want to be able to run against each other and not have 1 car that will always be the "losers" car.

appreciate your comments.

Cheers,
Martin
If you make up the right kind of track, it can be pretty equal. I run my M05 against my SC10 short course truck. My M-05 has a silver can and the SC10 has a 3300kv brushless and I can sometimes keep up with it anywhere but the straight.

They should both come with the same motor but the m-05 will have a dis-advantage.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks thats good to know.....ok so the dis advantage...is that purely because its only 2wd whereas the tt01 is 4wd?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

thanks thats good to know.....ok so the dis advantage...is that purely because its only 2wd whereas the tt01 is 4wd?
That's deffinitly a big part of it.
They both handle a lot differently also. The M-05 may roll a lot. Mine doesn't roll much(only when hit during corners) but some of the other ones at my track would roll during cornering.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok, but for the most part they will/should be ok casually racing against each other....? and just generally having fun with them.

ok so in terms of any necessary upgrades....

what is recommended for both the m05 and tt01?
I know that changing the shocks i think is recommended for the m05 and also getting a ball bearing kit i think?

any tips etc? not looking to spend load of cash doing it, but if there are some relatively cheap upgrades that will make a difference im interested to do that.

Cheers
Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.