Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which helicopter should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Wink Which helicopter should I choose?

I really want to get a medium/fair priced helicopter. I'm thinking of getting it from Xenon Project because they have a sweepstakes going on right now and since I'm planning on getting a helicopter anyways, it'll be an extra bonus.

Anyways it's between the 9100 Metal Gyro RC Helicopter and 9053 Gyro Volitation

Anyone have any personal experience with them?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You'll prob get more feedback posting your ques in the RC Flight forum....
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

If you're just starting out, check out the E-flite Blade mCX2 or CX2/3 RTFs. Both are coaxial, 4-channel helis that can be flown indoors. Parts are easily available and cheap. They are durable as hell and easy to fly.

I'd avoid either of the two models that you mentioned. Both are 3-channel, meaning they are devoid of roll control (left/right drift), and are PITA to get parts for locally. Motor driven tail rotors are also things that should be avoided when possible.

The Blade models all use Spektrum DSM2 receivers, and can be bound to higher end Spektrum and JR radios if you choose to take the plunge into full operation 6-channel CP helis.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigRM
If you're just starting out, check out the E-flite Blade mCX2 or CX2/3 RTFs. Both are coaxial, 4-channel helis that can be flown indoors. Parts are easily available and cheap. They are durable as hell and easy to fly.

I'd avoid either of the two models that you mentioned. Both are 3-channel, meaning they are devoid of roll control (left/right drift), and are PITA to get parts for locally. Motor driven tail rotors are also things that should be avoided when possible.

The Blade models all use Spektrum DSM2 receivers, and can be bound to higher end Spektrum and JR radios if you choose to take the plunge into full operation 6-channel CP helis.
+1 on this advice

I owned a few micro helis in the past including a Mciron V2 and a Walkera #4-3 but I always struggled to become a better flyer. Once I was able to purchase a Blade mSR it really improved my flying, in part due to the better heli but also because my radio (DX7) was much better.

Since then I've started learning on a Blade 450 so I can learn the CP aspect of the hobby, I've been able to use my current radio and it has simplified much of the because I started with the mSR. Of course the radios and heli's are constantly changing so what worked for me may no longer be the best option for you.

If you are serious about R/C helicopters than the models you are looking at will only hinder your progress. You will not be able to learn very many skills at all and you will develop too many bad habits for it to be worthwhile.

If you just want a toy to fly calmly in your living room then get whatever you would like, just don't expect to be capable of flying true hobby grade helicopters once you're done.

Star
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Rookie

There's a good electric helicopter guide over at the Model Airplane News site -- it's on the front page of the site today!