Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Brute restore

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Big Brute restore

Trying to restore an old Kyosho Big Brute and I need some suggestions on a compatiable esc and motor. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dirty
Trying to restore an old Kyosho Big Brute and I need some suggestions on a compatiable esc and motor. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
Any 540-size motor will work as will just about any ESC. If you want to create an "authentic" era-accurate restoration, get yourself a brushed setup circa 1991ish, i.e. a Novak T4 which if you can't find on Ebay, you can probably find via placing a "wanted" ad in the classifieds here.

If you want something more modern to acutally use the truck, something like this will probably be enough power to make that truck do wheelies.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

That seems easy enough. Apperciate the help. I also have an old Kyosho Optima 4wd car that I would love to go with a brushless motor on it. Other than upgrading the motor and esc would there be anything else needed? Such as changing/upgrading the chain drive or gears? Would like to get that car to fly. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dirty
That seems easy enough. Apperciate the help. I also have an old Kyosho Optima 4wd car that I would love to go with a brushless motor on it. Other than upgrading the motor and esc would there be anything else needed? Such as changing/upgrading the chain drive or gears? Would like to get that car to fly. Thanks again for all your help.
You'll need a much smaller pinion gear than what would be ran on a brushed setup but as long as the chain is tight, the car should be able to take the power. Modern brushless tech is quite literally usually plug-n-play.

Depending on your batteries, you may want to go lipo as well but old packs will power a brushless setup and it'll be faster/better/run longer on the same packs than brushed would have.