Search

please help a newbie pick ESC and battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? please help a newbie pick ESC and battery

please excuse my english as it is not my first language.

I am fairly new to on-road rc racing. Recently I bought a Tamiya TA-06 and I am going to run a "black can" motor (Tamiya RS540 sport tuned) on it for club race. Now my 2 questions are which ESC is good? and what LIPO battery I should buy?

I would like to buy a ESC and battery that is TCS approved in case I want to attend it next season.

I owned a tekin FX in my Tamiya M-05 and it runs the "silver can" very well. Will the FX be good with a "black can"? or do I need the FX Pro? or perhaps another ESC would be recommended for the job?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Tekin ESCs are great. And they have all the adjustability in the world with the HotWire programming module. The only difference between the FX and the FX Pro is the internal resistance is lower in the FX Pro. I don't think you'll notice any significant advantage to that. So I would stick with the FX.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM
gom
Tech Adept

thanks. tekin fx it is.

any advice on the battery? will i notice any difference with a higher C rating battery on the black can? right now i am using a reedy 2400mAh 30c lipo.

thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

A battery's ability to supply current is a product of the c rating and the capacity. (30C x 2400mah or 2.4A) = 72amps. So if you got a higher capacity battery (6000mah for example) with the same c-rating, the battery would actually be able to supply more current (180amps). I think you would notice a difference there.

So you can either go for lightness and get smaller capacity batteries (slighly smaller/lighter usually) with a higher c-rating, or go with slighly heavier, higher capacity packs with a lower c-rating and achieve the same result. The motor (especially the motor you're using) only draws so much power, so it's pointless to go crazy and spend lots of money on a high capacity/high c-rating pack like a 50C 6000mah or something like that.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Smile

thanks again for the advice. i think i'll go with a lower capacity and slightly higher C rating LiPO.

any idea what the max current draw from a black can motor is? i tried looking for it everywhere but couldn't get an useful info. some say 50 amp is the max current draw. but others say it can go up to 120 amp. i found the range is way too wide to be accurate.

If the max current draw is indeed 50amp, then a 3000 mAh 30c LiPO is enough. But if it's as high as 120 amp, i'll need to get higher mAh and c rating, which will ended up to be heavier.

so i would like to know what the max current draw of a black can really is before i buy a battery.