Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Real Rookie!-Charger/battery connection problem >

Real Rookie!-Charger/battery connection problem

Real Rookie!-Charger/battery connection problem

Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Real Rookie!-Charger/battery connection problem

So I received my lipo Turnigy 2 cell 5000mAh battery and Hobby King ECO 6-10 200W Charger.

I don't understand how to connect the battery to the charger, I can connect the balance charge. But it looks like the right connection is not there for the normal charge port. Also how do I connect it to something other than a car battery. What does everyone else use? I thought I could connect it to an old laptop charger but it only comes with aligator clips? Is there something im not seeing here? I feel really stupid! haha

Thankyou for all your help
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ok,
most chargers will require you to connect both the balance plug and also the main leads. The +ve and -ve. I use banana plugs as my battery uses corally plugs (just holes in the top of the battery).

set the charger to lipo and dial in the amount of mAh's as your charging current. ie 5000mAh = 5A. if charger cannot cope with 5A, set it to its max charge rate but not higher than the battery capacity.

To connect your charger to an AC power supply, first and for-most, check the current output of your power supply. if it is less than 10A, don't bother. I use a 20A dick smith power supply 13.8V, but that is because i use a charger that can charge 4 batteries at once.

As for the physical connection, the list of options are endless.. deans plugs, direct soldering, bullet connectors, anything. With the large clips that are used on the charger there is sometimes the avenue to put banana plugs into the base of the alligator clips.

hope this helps
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it! and I understand a lot more now
as for the power adapter I have a 12v car battery charger that works

Thank you again for your help once all my other parts are delivered I will decide which connecter path to go down what do you suggest?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i only use 2 types of connections

deans (male and female)
banana plugs

on my speed control, i put a male deans plug, then i have a lead that is a female deans plug to two banana plugs which push direct into the battery from the esc.

my charger has banana plugs direct to the sockets in my power supply. obviously depends on the power supply.

Because i have like 14 different cars, i have converted every one to deans to ensure continuity.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Tech Regular

May also want to checl out the EC3 or EC5 plugs. Super easy to solder.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can take one of the charger adapters that you will not use like one with a Tamiya connector and cut that off and solder the connector you will use to make your charging adapter. You will need a male connector for the adapter since the lipo will be a female connector.

Unless that car battery charger is an expensive one with a filtered DC output, I wouldn't use that as a PS for the charger. Chargers electronics are pretty sensitive and cheap auto batt chargers can ruin your rc charger.

You may want to spend a few min and read up on lipos so you understand more about them -

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for everyones input Ill go down to my LHS once the rest of the parts come, and I will look into getting a proper dc adapter.