Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bubbles!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default Bubbles!

What is a shock re-build? If I take apart my shocks and put oil back in them. Is it critical for me to get all the air bubbles out? So tedious.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Yes you need to wait for all the bubbles to float to the top to do it correctly and effectively. If this is a big issue you're in for a long haul in this hobby.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Fill them up with oil and let them stand for 10 mins to let the bubbles out. Nothing hard about that.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yes , as above on the bubbles. A "re-build" is when you put new o-rings/ seals, new spacers, pistons and bladders (if they have them) in your shocks. You dont need to do this as often as you need to change the oil.
If you dont change the oil much, the little bits of dust and dirt get in there and wear out the piston and seals causing them to leak and not be as consistant. Some ( very slight ) oil on the shaft is normal but if the bottom spring cup is wet, you probbly got a leak. Then its time for a re-build!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't rebuild the shocks unless they are losing oil or have not been rebuilt for a long time. When you change the oil, slowly move the piston/shaft up and down a few times, then let the shock sit for 5-10 minutes so the air bubbles work out. Your shocks will be silky smooth!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Yes, after you put the oil in, you should move the shaft up and down a couple of times and then put more oil in it so that it is almost spilling and then wait a half hour or so. And yes, a correct rebuild is when you replace all of the inside parts when your shocks start tto lose oil
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

I rebuild my shocks once a month. Shocks take alot of abuse. The o-rings or a cheap way to help keep your suspension smooth and consistent. Part of the hobby is patience. Rebuilding or refilling your shocks takes time. Air in the socks will cause great inconsistency. Take your time and do it right. I personally will not wait for something to go wrong to fix the problem.