Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
custom car build >

custom car build

custom car build

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default custom car build

Its not that i am new to rc, but i am to this forum/ site and I am wanting to start a custom car build but I'm not sure where to look for ideas and what forum would be the best to make a thread for my project. it will be an electric off road truck but it has features that a monster truck has but i don't want to go rock crawling. any help would be great. thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by daltonspeed16
Its not that i am new to rc, but i am to this forum/ site and I am wanting to start a custom car build but I'm not sure where to look for ideas and what forum would be the best to make a thread for my project. it will be an electric off road truck but it has features that a monster truck has but i don't want to go rock crawling. any help would be great. thanks.
Hello and welcome to RCtech. I am new here to, but I think you could ask in the Want to Buy section. You could say that you want to buy all the parts and stuff.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

oh yeah, thats true because eventually i will need to be there. thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

buyt if you are looking for input and help I would go to the electric offroad forum
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Rookie

okay that's what i though at first because i want it to be an electric off-road truck so thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

you should make an HPI Blitz/Firestorm into a 4wd Short Course. Either that, or make a Slash into an 8th scale buggy. Saw that one in an RC magazine. Think it may have been RCCA
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

I was totally thinking of making a 4wd car but I couldn't figure out how to get started
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mcdragon2
I was totally thinking of making a 4wd car but I couldn't figure out how to get started
You could base it off of a TC chassis, or at least get the driveshaft from it.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah im not sure. i just really don't know what to go off of. because one thing i think is really cool is all wheel steering like in this video called 'Review of RC4WD Bully Crawler with 4 wheel steering.' its on youtube. (can't post links yet cause i don't have enough posts) so i want to have 4wd and 4ws (wheel steering) but i want it to be a 1/10th or 1/8th scale style chassis, not a crawler.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

tc chassis might be cool especially if it has some arm from a truck that will fit. shock tower should be easier to make than arms. really just need something with a front and rear diff and front steering setup
Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Rookie

thats my biggest worry. i need to be able to have two steering servos in such small space. its almost like a i need to get, for example, two tc chassis and take the front end from both and mount them together some how, while also adding space in between for the other electronics. haha so confusing. i wish i knew how to make my own chassis. i would have this done already.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

well for testing an idea no reason you can't find some cheap thin plywood and cut that up to design the chassis and then use a dremel to cut one out of aluminum or use a band saw and a scroll saw. or most likely a jigsaw with a nice blade. 2 front ends from something is probably your best bet
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daltonspeed16
yeah im not sure. i just really don't know what to go off of. because one thing i think is really cool is all wheel steering like in this video called 'Review of RC4WD Bully Crawler with 4 wheel steering.' its on youtube. (can't post links yet cause i don't have enough posts) so i want to have 4wd and 4ws (wheel steering) but i want it to be a 1/10th or 1/8th scale style chassis, not a crawler.
Seems to me that anything with 4ws would roll if taken around a corner at high speeds. Rear wheel steering would be interesting, but that runs into the whole issue of a FWD car/truck. I know the Tamiya Minis are FWD and those are a blast, but for a 10th scale, let alone a racer, not sure how that would work out. I might look into that though.

Last edited by dkrall; 06-09-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling error, I'm OCD about that
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

it would be ideal to have a switch on the transmitter to turn 4ws on and off
Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mcdragon2
it would be ideal to have a switch on the transmitter to turn 4ws on and off
That would be very meticulous to build, but if you have the ability go for it. I'd be quite impressed. Do you know how it would be done?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.