Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting my ft sc10 to race ready

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default getting my ft sc10 to race ready

Just trying to figure up how much it'll take total for me to have a sct ready to be competitive and not feel I need to upgrade anything.

The truck will be an ftsc10 and would like to order everything from towerhobbies and amain preferably but as much as possible from TH. I know I'm going to need motor/esc I want something that I won't have to worry about overheating and such and be quick enough to hang in the mod sct class. I know I'll need a servo but am clueless on what is a decent one to get. Also need a radio and again, clueless.

Not trying to get the most expensive gear but I want to get the best value to stay competitive and not have to worry about much. Links are appreciated!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

First, a warning, this is the kind of thread that could easily wind up with a 100 people in it arguing blindly in favor of their favorite brands. Once you're buying "race-grade" stuff, it's acutally harder to go wrong than it is to find something that works...

Disclaimer over, what I would look at would be....

ESC: I use the LRP SXX V.2 and am happy with it so far. Smooth and if you can't find a profile from what it comes with that works for you, I would say the problem is the nut behind the wheel and not the ESC. If you want to save a few bucks and you don't need "boost" and you like a linear throttle profile, I'd take a look at the Novak GTB2 for a more value oriented option.

At this point, I'd be disappointed if nobody jumped in here to say, "Tekin!" However, if you're running any class other than a boosted stock one, I've seen far more people dial themselves out than in with the Tekin. I've seen the preposterous site of someone plugging a laptop into their car to try to re-profile their Tekin when it's obvious to everyone else that a 1/4 turn adjustment on the slipper would be a better way to go.

Motor: Any of the Trinity D3-based motors would be a good bet. The LRP motors tend to run hot but that's all I can comment on for that area.

Servo: I use This Futaba servo in my SC10. These are also a popular servo for the truck. Many racers also use the Savox brand to save a few bucks but I don't have enough experience with those to comment. I had a bad experience with a Hitech servo many, many years ago and never went back. I've heard they've improved but you know the old phrase about first impressions. I just hate to see it when someone uses a $40 servo in a $300 truck and then have it never handle right because the servo won't return to center everytime or whatnot.

Radio: I just bought this Futaba a couple weeks ago and love it. I've always stuck with the "big-name" brands and not the flavor of the week for my transmitter/receiver and that was the cheapest Futaba that had their FASST system and every adjustment you could ever need. YMMV.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
First, a warning, this is the kind of thread that could easily wind up with a 100 people in it arguing blindly in favor of their favorite brands. Once you're buying "race-grade" stuff, it's acutally harder to go wrong than it is to find something that works...

Disclaimer over, what I would look at would be....

ESC: I use the LRP SXX V.2 and am happy with it so far. Smooth and if you can't find a profile from what it comes with that works for you, I would say the problem is the nut behind the wheel and not the ESC. If you want to save a few bucks and you don't need "boost" and you like a linear throttle profile, I'd take a look at the Novak GTB2 for a more value oriented option.

At this point, I'd be disappointed if nobody jumped in here to say, "Tekin!" However, if you're running any class other than a boosted stock one, I've seen far more people dial themselves out than in with the Tekin. I've seen the preposterous site of someone plugging a laptop into their car to try to re-profile their Tekin when it's obvious to everyone else that a 1/4 turn adjustment on the slipper would be a better way to go.

Motor: Any of the Trinity D3-based motors would be a good bet. The LRP motors tend to run hot but that's all I can comment on for that area.

Servo: I use This Futaba servo in my SC10. These are also a popular servo for the truck. Many racers also use the Savox brand to save a few bucks but I don't have enough experience with those to comment. I had a bad experience with a Hitech servo many, many years ago and never went back. I've heard they've improved but you know the old phrase about first impressions. I just hate to see it when someone uses a $40 servo in a $300 truck and then have it never handle right because the servo won't return to center everytime or whatnot.

Radio: I just bought this Futaba a couple weeks ago and love it. I've always stuck with the "big-name" brands and not the flavor of the week for my transmitter/receiver and that was the cheapest Futaba that had their FASST system and every adjustment you could ever need. YMMV.
Like Mark said, This could get ugly with Everyone's Favorite Brand. I am not even going to go into what I would buy because of that.

Easiest thing to do, is decide what you want to do with the truck. Bash, race, whatever. If you want to bash, your options are pretty much limited by your to your wallet. If you want to race, Go to you local track and find what others are using. Ask questions about duability, ease of use/ installation stuff like that. Find out what class you will/want to run and base you decions on that. No sense buying a 6.5 brushless system if you are going to run stock class. Your servo should be at least 100 oz/ins of torque at about .12 seconds. Faster and stronger servos are out there but most likly not needed. Radios are almost a no brainer now a days. A good radio runs about $100 and will have more features than you will know what to do with. I would get a digital 2.5GHZ but fairly simple one.But remember, you can always upgrade these as your skills get better, and most of all HAVE FUN. That is what this hobby is all about. TOO many people forget this and it drags down others!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

I was just asking what was good equipment/brands. Some things are shit quality and some things are actually worth the money. I wasn't really asking what people's favorite brands were and what they "thought" was good equipment. Asking more from those that have used things and it worked good no over heating or crapping out on them type of deal.

It'll be used for racing in the 2wd sct mod class.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

CASTLE OR TEKIN MOTOR AND ESC. NEVER EVER BUY NOVAK!!!!!!!!!!! ONE OF THE WORST THINGS THAT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU AND MANY PEOPLE (NOT ALL) WILL TELL YOU THAT
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Most mod guys run 8.5 brushless motors. I say most cuz some guys run 10.5 while others run 4.5's. Ive seen them all win so it's up to you and your ability. Tekin, Castle, Viper and even Novak make good motors and good ESC's ( pay no attention to the above post!).
Servo wise, AE, Futaba, HiTECH, Orion, Savox, KoPropo (SP?), just about anything that a-main sells is good. I run a Hobbico CS-160 and have for 2 years and have not had any problems with it. Payed 50 bucks for it.
As far as a radio, get a 2.4 system. Whether its Spektrum, Futaba or what ever. That way if and when you own multiple vehicles, all you need to do is buy a receiver and you are set.
A lot has to do with you budget. If you spent 400 on a radio system, with all the bells and wistles, you may just be buying extras that you dont need or will never use. Just do your research on what you think you might need. its best to narrow you decisions down to 2 then ask again for people who have used it. find out the hits and misses of said thing and go from there.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by machwon
I was just asking what was good equipment/brands. Some things are shit quality and some things are actually worth the money. I wasn't really asking what people's favorite brands were and what they "thought" was good equipment. Asking more from those that have used things and it worked good no over heating or crapping out on them type of deal.
Anyone who races long enough will see and have a failure of any/every brand out there. For everyone whose Novak/Tekin/LRP/whatever lasted two runs there's a guy who is still using his five year old model. So to quote myself...

Originally Posted by MarkA
Once you're buying "race-grade" stuff, it's acutally harder to go wrong than it is to find something that works...
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I ran a tekin Pro system in my ft sc10 with the redline 9.5 motor and loved it...The only problem i had was if i had a good set of tires on it and grabbed a hand full of throttle the front wheels never touched the ground till i let off.LOL so no steering,and that was with nimh batterys.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Would the pair of a MMP and tekin redline motor be good? I'm having trouble deciding which turn motor though since they're all the same price. I'll be racing at a small outdoor dirt track and a large 1/8 scale one.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by machwon
Would the pair of a MMP and tekin redline motor be good? I'm having trouble deciding which turn motor though since they're all the same price. I'll be racing at a small outdoor dirt track and a large 1/8 scale one.
Both are good pieces of equipment. The Mamba can be use as either sensored or sensorless which is good. That way you can use either type of motor if you choose. The Tekin motor is awesome. Again, you can run it as a sensored or sensorless. I would probably go with a 8.5 turn for mod racing. you can go lower but it may be harder to control on a less than perfect track. Have fun!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

There are to many good combinations for me to give one would not be fair.

LRP
Tekin
Novak - I personally have never run anything else and never had a problem.
Castle
Viper
Speed Passion

I have even seen guys podium using Hobby King stuff.

And so many good motors out there now that its hard to choose. I have heard good and bad about ALL ESC and Motors.....

If I was to buy right now, I would get the Speed Passion or Tekin..... My opinion.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Alright so Tekin redline 8.5t is a good choice for mod 2wd sct?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Here's what I'm planning on getting, please let me know if anything is conflicting.

FT SC10
RPM Front bumper
HiTech HS-645MG High Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo
2x Venom LiPo 2s 5000mAh 20C
DuraTrax Onyx 235
Castle Creations MMP
Tekin Redline 8.5t
FlySky GT3B

Anything I'm leaving off or anything here that won't work with something else? Anything else I should go ahead and get for the sc10 like some gears or something?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get some extra pinion and spur gears....I always get the robinson 6 pack of spurs that way you have a few different options...
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry to budge in. I'm in the market to improve my SC10 too. Or maybe a Blizt. Is a Tekin 8.5 Redline faster than the CC Sidewinder? What is a FlySky GT3B? And what's Duratrax Onyx 235?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.