Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TX/RX range?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TX/RX range?

OK, I just got a traxxas slash with the 2.4Ghz TX/RX, the range doesn't seem to be all that impressive and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to increase that. I tried pulling the antenna out further, the only thing I didn't do was get a longer antenna holder so its just flopping around in the chassis of the truck.

Are there better setups that have better range? Even at the local track I find that if I go behind a large embankment and lose visual on the truck, I won't be able to control the truck, gotta put the remote over my head and it takes off tho.

thoughts?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

something is wrong, you either crimped/kinked the antenna or there's something wrong with the tx or rx.

you should be able to drive the car 100's of yards without issue.

2.4 antenna are fragile and need to be extended as far as they can go. they should never be wrapped up or kinked in anyway. always keep the flat/straight and curve them gently.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Initiate

ok, so say there is something wrong with the unit, can I purchase just a new RX? I am going to try new batteries first, tho I'm almost positive they aren't the issue.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, you can purchase just the rcvr - if you bought this new though, you should be talking with your lhs, the online place where you bought it or maybe even Traxxas.

The cheapest 2.4 Traxxas rcvrs I've seen are on eBay.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Odd
Tech Apprentice

The Futaba 4PL is a nice rig and has been documented to transmit over 1000ft (http://www.bigsquidrc.com/futaba-4pl...-radio-review/ for truth)
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I was at an RC meet today and one of the guys there had that one. Didn't have a bad thing to say about it other than the price, lol. Sick transmitter.

I actually figured out my issue with my receiver issue, I think, before completing my tests a bearing went in the truck and took out my diff.

I took out the RX and when I grabbed the antenna it fell off. Bad soldering to blame. I took it apart and re-soldered it and now hopefully whenever my LHS gets the new diff casing in stock (Wednesday perhaps), I will be able to finish testing. The range was seemingly better tho, if I continue to have issues I think I am just gonna grab a new RX/TX setup.