Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed turns vs Brushless turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Brushed turns vs Brushless turns

Okay, not sure if they can even remotely be compared but I thought I saw it somewhere and can't find it anymore. Is there any way to compare a brushless motor to a brushed in terms of how many turns?

I thought I saw somewhere that stock for brushless is 17.5t. Does that mean that a 27T brushed motor which is considered stock the equivalent? I am really trying to see what running my 20T or 16T brushed motor would be close to in terms of brushless classes. Would running a 20T brushed setup be fair against a 17.5 brushless class?

I am not planning on running anything other than sportsman class this year, but am just curious about this since I am not in a position to spend the money on a brushless setup right now.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
There isnt really a 'stock' turn level; it all differs between manufacturers. the lesser number of turns, the faster the top speed will be. a lower turn motor will give you a much faster acceleration and oomph off the start but a lower top speed. there isnt really a set equivalent from brushed to brushless. output/top speed is measured more in kV than turns. 3.5T is 10,500 kV and a 8T or 9T motor is about 5,700 kV.the 20T brushed would get blown out of the water by the 17.5T brushless
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok, a 17.5 is rated at 2,200 kv (15,840 rpm). A Tamiya dirt tuned 27T is rated at 17,000 rpm. Seeing ratings like that, I am not so sure about your last comment about my 20T being blown out of the water. Especially considering that a 27T motor is rated for more rpm at 7.2v than a 17.5 is rated at for 7.4v.

Guess I will just see how my brushed motors and my gearing stacks up to the competition in sportsman class.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ITJeff
Ok, a 17.5 is rated at 2,200 kv (15,840 rpm). A Tamiya dirt tuned 27T is rated at 17,000 rpm. Seeing ratings like that, I am not so sure about your last comment about my 20T being blown out of the water. Especially considering that a 27T motor is rated for more rpm at 7.2v than a 17.5 is rated at for 7.4v.

Guess I will just see how my brushed motors and my gearing stacks up to the competition in sportsman class.
true. i suppose blown out of the water was a bad thing to say but would you really want to be running a 17.5t motor? a velineon is a popular system and thats 10T @ 3500 kV? what would you be running it on?

btw... kV = RPM / V so for example a 17.5t @ 7.2 volts puts out 15840 RPMs so 15840 / 7.2 = 2200
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

A brushed 20T motor like the old traxxas stingers, would get pwned by a brushless motor. Honestly you would have to get a really really low turned brushed motor to keep up with a brushless.