Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC car for 5 y/o (slash?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I would stay away from the evader personally. It is cheaper up front, but is a knock off, harder to get parts for, and not nearly as durable. The bodies on them are cheap plastic that tend to shatter instead of cracking like lexan.

I would go with a 2.4Ghz slash. That is what I started my son on and he's racing 1/8 scale now. He ran that truck through hell and back. Yes, he did manage to break the normal things such as A arms and a few bearing carriers, but for $10, you replace them with RPM and you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

My 7 year old daughter got a Traxxas Stampede for her birthday and she absolutely loves it. It's not the most capable racer, but it's usually accepted in novice classes, and looks "beefier" like a monster truck. We've had great luck with durability on that too - she's just gone through quite a few servo savers. We're going to try the Kimbrough servo saver this time around. Should be a little tougher. We RPM'd it out right from the start. Can't go wrong with anything from RPM. http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/

They're selling those in replica Monster Truck styles now too. Really want to get her the "Monster Mutt" body for it http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

For chargers, she uses the DuraTrax Onyx 200. Really simple to use, can run on AC or DC, and not too spendy.

Also, for batteries, go with 6 or 7 cell NiMH with 3000 or greater MaH capacity. The 7 cells can come in a stick or a hump pack - make sure you get the style that works with the vehicle you choose. Slash takes either, Stampede will only take the 7 cell hump pack without modification to the tray.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks again all for the tips. Hopefully this will help other noobs too. I'll take some time to consider all your advice.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Ya the 2wd slash is awesome get it with a 12turn motor parts are cheap and so is the car off of ebay but its quality.