Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Completely New to R/C.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Completely New to R/C.

Hey guys. Haydugjr here. I've been racing dirt bikes since I was four and my dad has been racing them since he was 10. With more local R/C tracks than dirt bike tracks, we decided to get into this little hobby so that we'd have something to do that didn't require hours packing and driving. So, moving on.

We had a nice nitrous Traxxas (T-Maxx) truck for about three years that he got as part of a trade. We broke something in it every week or so and after the third or fourth time we broke it we just left it sitting. Recently me and my friend have been looking more and more into R/C cars and so my dad traded the broken T-Maxx for a Duratrax Evader DT.

I constructed a ramp in our driveway which left about 10 feet of turnaround where the truck was in the grass. I had no idea I was supposed to keep it out of grass xD. It drove fine for a day or two. On the third day I unplugged the battery from the charger and took it down to the skate park with a friend to mess around. Upon arriving, I decided I'd look at everything closely to make sure nothing was about to break down. I noticed that the power switch had came off it's tape and so had the 2-way receiver. I hit a few small jumps (about 3-4 foot drops). After it quit responding, I looked at it closer and realized that the red wire had been ripped out of the switch. We fiddled with it for about 30 minutes. During one of the periods where the cable stayed in a screw fell out of the bottom of the truck. I looked and figured out it came from directly under the motor. We decided to walk the truck home and tape the cable back in and put the screw back in. After that, we took it back. I was messing with it in the tennis court when it started making a noise like a dirtbike with no oil. I immediately stopped it and picked it up. I hit the gas 3 times to hear the sound more clearly. On the third one it locked up and the wheels quit spinning. Looking at the right side of the motor, I determined that the small gear coming out of the motor was not connecting to the large gear that turned the wheels. I also saw tons of grass and dirt inside the same area. Any idea about what went on here would be appreciated. I understand that most things can't be understood without looking at them, so we're taking it back on the warranty it was given.

So. To prevent this from happening again, we've decided to buy 2 of the toughest trucks (same model, that way we both have one) we can find. Bashability (as in wrecks) is not so much as important as waterproof/grassproof to us. Though the Duratrax was my first R/C car, I felt the speed was lacking a lot. We're hoping to find a brushless motor that fits our needs, just so that we don't spend $200 and get a truck that tops out at 30 MPH. We definitely do not want a nitrous truck, because we would like to be able to simply plug in a battery rather than fiddling with yet another finicky motor. These trucks will be for jumping and possibly some races at the local track. Hopefully our price range could be around $500 + any durability kits/parts that help. Any suggestions?

If you need any extra information you need on personal preferences or exactly what we plan on doing with these trucks then please, just ask.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Welcome...

The Traxxas brushless E-Revo sound like it was made for you check it out at www.amainhobbies.com .

Good Luck ,Racer53
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Welcome man
Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey man, welcome to the forum.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

The way you describe your driving of the truck, I don't think it matters which you get. You are going to break it. If you are gonna bash and jump off of everything you can find, you will be replacing parts all the time. My first truck was an Hpi Savage, and the first time I got it up to speed I snapped an A-arm. Every time I drove the truck after that I broke another part or stripped another gear. There is no doubt in my mind that all of these broken parts were my fault and not the trucks. If you are going to abuse it, it will break no matter the brand. Learning how to control the truck in the air is the best durability upgrade one can do.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Originally Posted by WhoUtink
The way you describe your driving of the truck, I don't think it matters which you get. You are going to break it. If you are gonna bash and jump off of everything you can find, you will be replacing parts all the time. My first truck was an Hpi Savage, and the first time I got it up to speed I snapped an A-arm. Every time I drove the truck after that I broke another part or stripped another gear. There is no doubt in my mind that all of these broken parts were my fault and not the trucks. If you are going to abuse it, it will break no matter the brand. Learning how to control the truck in the air is the best durability upgrade one can do.
+1. if youre getting a hpi savage, its worth it to spend the few extra dollars and get the flux.