Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ball Diffs aka LSDs.... general tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JeffC
First off, don't let the diffs slip. They're not a slipper clutch, and aren't designed to act as one. They will wear out VERY fast.

i've got a NEO t21 with ball difs at the front and rear. the front is tight and the rear is loose.

if i turn one rear wheel all wheels turn but if i hold one rear wheel and turn the other rear wheel it skips is this ok? or am i wearing the rear diff out?

-could someone explain a little more what positives and negatives you get if you run a loose front and a tight rear?

-my NEO was also hopping around corners. i adjusted the rear springs and loosened the rear idff and it stoped. question, would the tightness of the rear diff affect handling? ie; make my car skip
Old 10-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Don't hold me to this but I think this is right.

Totally loose front diff totally locked rear = more excelleration but no breaking action in the front, so you can spin out more easily. Car acts like a normal rear wheel car. Also acts like a car with a front one way only you'll get no excelleration from the front. You will have more steering.

Totally Loose Rear diff tottaly locked front = And the car acts like a front wheels drive car where is hard to spin it. Front brakes only and the front wheels can spin under hard excelleration.

Both totally loose = No movement at all, your car will stand still or only move slightly.

Front half claped shut rear totally shut = Has breaking action in the front but only half of what you would have if it was totally locked. It is also harder to spin when braking then a totally loose front diff.

Rear half claped shut front toally shut = Still hard to spin but has more rear brakes then a lose rear diff so you'll have more braking overall without looseing the stability of Front wheel drive. You may get some drifting going.

Both totally shut = Car has full breaking and full excelleration the car can be drifted sideways through the turns and you still have full control over the drift.

Obviously you can have variations but as an overall I think this is right. Please someone correct me if I have screw'd up and said something wrong.

P.S. if you have a way loose diff or if it too lose and it spins you'll wear out the diff rings and the balls quickly, "speaking from experience."

Last edited by fatdoggy; 10-01-2001 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

so basicly what you are saying is this;

-both front and rear locked tight = 4wd effect. power to all 4 wheels equally, braking to all 4 wheels

-front locked rear semi locked = front wheel drive effect. stable corner entering, although understeer out of corner. braking froce goes mainly to the front therfore brakeing while turning gives understeer.

-front semi locked rear locked = rear wheel drive effect. power goes mainly to rear braking force to rear. quick entering speed and possible oversteer. greater chance of spinout yet better power off steering and on power steering.

-front semi locked rear semi locked = loss of general power to ground and braking.

i get it now. does everyone else understand?

so if you have a car that is a little front or rear heavy and want to balance it out play around with the diffs and thier levels of "lockedness"

with this in mind i might fool around with losening the front a bit and tightening the rear.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

One of the LHS owners recommended that I set my diff tightness as such: Tightnen the screw so that it will not slip, no tighter. Front and rear same tightness, or if you are the like-to-drift-it-looks-cool-even-if-it-is-slower type like me, set the rear slightly less tight. Previously I tried stuff like tight front loose rear (loose in the sense the wheels spin very easily, the diff DOES NOT slip), understeers bad imo (don't u love it when it happens in a race), front loose rear tight seems to give excellent steering, but out of the corner it tends to drift to the opposite corner, so I settled for the above, front/rear tight.

Disclaimer: Newbie opinions

Regards,
Alvin
Old 10-02-2001, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

ozzyNEOdriver - You hit the nail on the head.