R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wheels & Tires Install Opinion or FACT please

Aquired a set (4) 1:8th truggy wheels and jconcepts tires. I've got somewhat an idea of how to mount & balance them. But I've noticed on the new truggy wheels that there is no "PIN" hole, only an idention that may be a template for me to drill it? Looks to be a size of 1/8th hole. Are racers leaving this blank to keep air in the tire? or let it bleed out that hole? I can somewhat understand the benefits of keeping it blanked off to clean the tires easily without letting water into the tire ruining it BUT wouldn't want air to be compressed to offset handling characteristics? This might be racer preference? Would like to see what others have to say about this. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Associatedfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

You need to vent the tire. You can vent the rim, but it's much better if you vent the tire. 2 Small holes in the tire on opposite sides is best. I use a cheap 8 dollar rotating punch tool that you can get from Home Depot.

Don't vent it at the rim. The dirt, water, etc has nowhere to go once it gets in. When you have it vented at the tire that stuff has somewhere to go.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
You need to vent the tire. You can vent the rim, but it's much better if you vent the tire. 2 Small holes in the tire on opposite sides is best. I use a cheap 8 dollar rotating punch tool that you can get from Home Depot.

Don't vent it at the rim. The dirt, water, etc has nowhere to go once it gets in. When you have it vented at the tire that stuff has somewhere to go.
Thanks for your input.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigben1165

on balancing, people rarely balance the tires unless they are foams. most people can not tell the difference anyway.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the only adv. that ive noticed balancing tires is that they seem to wear a lil bit more evenly
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperguy View Post
the only adv. that ive noticed balancing tires is that they seem to wear a lil bit more evenly
really? there is so much slop in the steering on most cars i cant imagine that it even makes a difference! i take cd's and attach them to my axles to set all my angles. gives me a bigger/flatter surface to gauge.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you do a great glue job and there's no way the air can get out, the ride can be bouncy due to the trapped air in the tires. The trapped air can also mess with the way the tire is supposed to work by not allowing any sidewall give or flex. I vent MT tires at the rim and 1/8 buggy tires in the tire with a small hole punch - they are the only ones I'll get wet.

Balancing seems to differ. I have a 2WD Slash with one wheel that is so out of balance, it makes the truck hop at speed. Balanced that wheel only and it stopped the hopping immed. I used to race onroad and balanced all those whether foams or not. I don't do that anymore unless I see the need.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Tech Elite

i plugged the holes in the wheels of an emaxx once and man some wierdo stuff happened at speed! they would expand all funky cause cartwheels.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1165 View Post
on balancing, people rarely balance the tires unless they are foams. most people can not tell the difference anyway.
BALANCE YOUR . It helps with everything....better acceleration...stable rig...less stress on bearings...stable flight..even tire wear..the list goes on....I've taken on numerous tires from race peeps turn them over balanced and They are &
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Tech Elite

ok, ill give it a try!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks my fellow RC nut headz......after extensive lurking around numerous forums on the issue of where to tap a "hole" tires or wheel...I'm going to bite the bullet and punch some holes on the tires not wheels. I found that numerous rc peeps and some reputable rc tire manufacturer's "AKA" & "Jconcepts" far out weigh the concept of taping into the tire than wheel. Being an engineer by nature, I can see how the centerfigual force of crap "exiting" the tire than "sucking" crap thru the wheel. But who knows strange sh!t happens all the time. This is one of those real world applications trumps book theory anyday. As far as "WHERE" to puncture the hole I would assume the very dead center of the tire. I haven't seen any posts that reccommend location puncture site. IF anyone has done this please post your area of puncture site. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Associatedfan29 View Post
Ok thanks my fellow RC nut headz......after extensive lurking around numerous forums on the issue of where to tap a "hole" tires or wheel...I'm going to bite the bullet and punch some holes on the tires not wheels. I found that numerous rc peeps and some reputable rc tire manufacturer's "AKA" & "Jconcepts" far out weigh the concept of taping into the tire than wheel. Being an engineer by nature, I can see how the centerfigual force of crap "exiting" the tire than "sucking" crap thru the wheel. But who knows strange sh!t happens all the time. This is one of those real world applications trumps book theory anyday. As far as "WHERE" to puncture the hole I would assume the very dead center of the tire. I haven't seen any posts that reccommend location puncture site. IF anyone has done this please post your area of puncture site. Thanks in advance for your reply.
I go dead center using a small hole punch. I also started balancing my wheels after watching unbalanced ones shaking the crap out of my cars while on the starter box, I figure this can't be good on the components.
triple7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple7s View Post
I go dead center using a small hole punch. I also started balancing my wheels after watching unbalanced ones shaking the crap out of my cars while on the starter box, I figure this can't be good on the components.
good idea bud.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple7s View Post
Thanks for your input.... I just brought the tool from the depot for about $8 bucks and goin to punch some holes today on my tires. Ya I've seen my fair share of dudes wheels shakin' all over on the bump rigs or stands. Glad to hear your on-board with one crucial key tuning....
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Tech Elite

do you need to get a wheel balancer or is there something you can do to balance them with stuff i already have?