R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Bullet Battery to Tamiya connection

I purchased a Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 and two Turnigy batteries. Being completely new to all this, I'm not quite sure what to do here. I'm fairly certain the car is a Tamiya connector and I know the battery is a 5.5mm bullet connector. After doing some looking around it seems as though this sort of setup would require some altering of the wiring (soldering, tinning [not quite sure what that is], etc.). Is this my only option? If so, is this something I could take to a local hobby shop and have them do for me? I'd prefer not to do this myself as I would most certainly screw something up. Thanks for any info!!

Pictures included incase I'm dumber than I think.

Car connection

Battery connection
Brevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You are correct, thats a Tamiya in the car and HKs 5.5 bullets on teh lipo. Most ditch the Tamiya connectors since they seem to have enough resistance to get hot under moderate amp loads. I've melted them before running lipos a long time ago and no longer use them.

The other possibility some kind of adapter, but you'd prob have to build it yourself and you'd still have the Tamiya. A good lhs shoud be able to fix you up if you're don't want to attemp changing and soldering new connectors on both.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

clip all the ends off and just switch everything to deans... it will make your life 10 times easier in the long run. I've seen to many times that stupid white plug melted together, and more and more batteries are starting to come with deans standard. deans are just the best for flowing as many amps as you want. it will require a little bit of soldering on your part and I don't know what your experience level is in this field but if you want to be into electric r/c stuff its a good skill to master early
Hobby HQ
MDogSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDogSquad View Post
clip all the ends off and just switch everything to deans... it will make your life 10 times easier in the long run. I've seen to many times that stupid white plug melted together, and more and more batteries are starting to come with deans standard. deans are just the best for flowing as many amps as you want. it will require a little bit of soldering on your part and I don't know what your experience level is in this field but if you want to be into electric r/c stuff its a good skill to master early
X2. And honestly, if you're getting into this hobby, you're going to have to learn how to solder. So, now's the time to start practicing!
Dadic 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses and information, at least now I know I'm on the right path. I definitely think moving away from the Tamiya is going to be the best choice as I've heard from multiple people they have issues with melting at high temps. I've done a little soldering before however I'm by no means a master of it, so for this project I'll probably take it to a hobby shop. Knowing my luck I'd royally screw something up if I attempt it myself.

Just as an example of my luck, car and batteries are in hand, ordered charger from HobbyKing, all of their orders are delayed because of Chinese new year. Looks like I won't have the charger for about a month. ::sigh::
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Sounds like you've got a months' worth of time to practice soldering!

Soldering isn't that hard... I mean, once you get the jist of it, it's really quite simple. I've found using a liquid acid flux makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world. Now, some may dispute this, but if you're new at soldering, liquid flux is the way to go (available at home depot, etc... plumbers use it). Just put the flux on the part you want the solder to stick to (via brush, or q-tip), get some solder on the end of your iron, touch the iron to the part with the flux on it, and voila, you're a pro-solderer!

I wasted months in my youth (when I first got into R/C) using the wrong type of solder, and/or not enough flux/no flux. Using liquid flux has made me a great solderer and that's that. I'd recommend you try it.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Is this the only hardware I will need to convert the car over to bullet connectors? I have all the tools I would need, I just want to make sure there are no other parts to order.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Yes, and no...

You are correct in choosing a male/female connector, so yes, this connector will work for you. Solder male connector to ESC, female end to battery, and you're set. Only issue is the TYPE of connector you've chosen.

I really don't know much about this EC5 connector, looks like it's for heli-applications. Not sure if that's a good, or a bad thing.

You'll notice MOST people run DEANS connectors in R/C. http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...FQcBbAodmmEgcg

Deans connectors are the industry standard, and if you're going to be changing connectors, might as well run what everyone else is running. Just makes sense...

You can pick them up just about anywhere, including ebay. There are knock-offs out there which I've heard are pretty good quality. I'm just unsure of the name. Typical Oriental knock-offs though...

Hope that helps!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigben1165

tamiya connectors are not meant for the current systems that we run today, they werent even up to the ones we ran yesterday. you will want to run dean or larger bullets to attach batteries and charges etc. eventually the tamiya connecter will turn brown and fuse together.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've seen some nasty damage done by melting tamiya connectors when the metal pieces inside the melted connector touched and shorted the entire sytem out, killing the batt, esc and servo. I ran a tamiya one time in a 18th - figured it was ok due to the lower amp draw - nope, melted it together. I got lucky an had no other damage.

I use deans on all my surface RCs. I use ec5s on all my heli stuff - when I got started in helis, thats what they came with and I've stayed with them. Both work fine, but the don't mix. I have made adapters - deans to ec5 in case I need to 'borrow' one.

There is a lot to be said for staying compatible with what most run. You can get all kinds of help that way. You eliminate that by running a diff connector than most other use.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Tech Elite

i have always run deans connectors in my cars all the way up to my 700 size electric heli. very good connectors!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0

I second the advise above. I switched over to Traxxas connections thou. I was reading an artical where they tested Tamiya, Deand, Traxxas and Ec3 connectors. To my suprise Deans Ultra plugs are rated at 50A and Traxxas / Ec3 plugs where rated at 100A. This makes sense to me as theres more surface on my Traxxas than Deans and theres something to actually grab onto. But Im not doubting Deans. I used them for ahwile and they seem to be the standard for the hobby. Im shure which ever you choose of the three will be fine
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Tech Elite

manufacturers purposfully underrate their plugs for safety.