Community
Wiki Posts
Search

offroad buggy/truck/truggy advise $800 budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default offroad buggy/truck/truggy advise $800 budget

My kid got a monster, monster RC truck for christmas. perfect for a 4 yr old. now, I'd like to get a RC car to bash around with him.

I am willing to spend upwards of 800 bucks TOTAL (batteries, charger -> electrics).

what I want:
1/8 scale
Electric -> brushless
4wd
off-road though don't really want a monster truck
durable/tough.
doesn't require 200 buck battery packs
I want a basher, but might take it to a track now and again, might even build one on my property. I used to have a traxxas rustler, and a buddy used to have a traxas revo nitro. with that, I know I want something better than a traxxas -> have been looking at a few cars and need some input:

AE's SC8e short course truck
AE's RC8be buggy

Caster racing's F8T-FK Factory Pro - Truggy
Caster Racing's Fusion EX-1.5R Factory Pro Buggy

Losi 8IGHT-E 2.0 Race Roller
(tried to link them, but forum rules state otherwise)

I was kind of leaning towards the SC8e, but it seams like the only vehicle in its class, so if I did take it racing, I might be SOL. They also seem to recommend high buck batteries for it... I now seem to be favoring the caster racing setups and it seems for my needs, the truggy might be the way to go, but aesthetically I like the short course trucks and buggies. I don't care about insane speeds, just want something fun to drive, won't break every time I take it out, and would be competitive at the track. the losi will about tap my budget dry if not push it. I don't care about LHS support. I am fine ordering parts off the net.

Also, would like to buy my kid a mini or micro crawler to play around with in the house. Nothing too price -> suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zivman
My kid got a monster, monster RC truck for christmas. perfect for a 4 yr old. now, I'd like to get a RC car to bash around with him.

I am willing to spend upwards of 800 bucks TOTAL (batteries, charger -> electrics).

what I want:
1/8 scale
Electric -> brushless
4wd
off-road though don't really want a monster truck
durable/tough.
doesn't require 200 buck battery packs
I want a basher, but might take it to a track now and again, might even build one on my property. I used to have a traxxas rustler, and a buddy used to have a traxas revo nitro. with that, I know I want something better than a traxxas -> have been looking at a few cars and need some input:

AE's SC8e short course truck
AE's RC8be buggy

Caster racing's F8T-FK Factory Pro - Truggy
Caster Racing's Fusion EX-1.5R Factory Pro Buggy

Losi 8IGHT-E 2.0 Race Roller
(tried to link them, but forum rules state otherwise)

I was kind of leaning towards the SC8e, but it seams like the only vehicle in its class, so if I did take it racing, I might be SOL. They also seem to recommend high buck batteries for it... I now seem to be favoring the caster racing setups and it seems for my needs, the truggy might be the way to go, but aesthetically I like the short course trucks and buggies. I don't care about insane speeds, just want something fun to drive, won't break every time I take it out, and would be competitive at the track. the losi will about tap my budget dry if not push it. I don't care about LHS support. I am fine ordering parts off the net.

Also, would like to buy my kid a mini or micro crawler to play around with in the house. Nothing too price -> suggestions?

thanks in advance
Definitely check out the Associated RC8BE. It's a good quality product, and is just as durable as a truggy. It won't be as capable "bashing" like the truggy, but since you mentioned that you want to get into racing, it would be a good choice. Generally, buggies are more common at most tracks and since you like the look of the buggies, that's a plus also. The high buck batteries are nice, but honestly, check out "hobbyking.com." They have great priced lipos, and they're a good quality. Don't be turned off that they are not from the US. They are definitely still a quality battery from my experience, especially considering the price. (20-40$) As I said, a truggy would be able to cover more ground than a buggy, due to the bigger tires and what not. Not saying a buggy can't bash though, you could still have a great time. The SC8E, like you mentioned would not be good for racing. I have never seen one at any track I have ever been to. It wouldn't be the best basher either, considering how low and small the wheels are.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Batteries for the "bang for your buck $"

Originally Posted by Tyler350
Definitely check out the Associated RC8BE. It's a good quality product, and is just as durable as a truggy. It won't be as capable "bashing" like the truggy, but since you mentioned that you want to get into racing, it would be a good choice. Generally, buggies are more common at most tracks and since you like the look of the buggies, that's a plus also. The high buck batteries are nice, but honestly, check out "hobbyking.com." They have great priced lipos, and they're a good quality. Don't be turned off that they are not from the US. They are definitely still a quality battery from my experience, especially considering the price. (20-40$) As I said, a truggy would be able to cover more ground than a buggy, due to the bigger tires and what not. Not saying a buggy can't bash though, you could still have a great time. The SC8E, like you mentioned would not be good for racing. I have never seen one at any track I have ever been to. It wouldn't be the best basher either, considering how low and small the wheels are.
Check out the turnigy 4 cells to. That's what see most guys use.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zivman
I want a basher, but might take it to a track now and again,
There is the key to your answer. Before we can recommend anything, we need to know what classes are run at your local track. Most likely the only car out of those choices you would be able to race at your local track , would be the 1/8 buggy... if any.

There is always an issue when people say "i want to bash, and sometimes race, what do i buy?" In that the cars built for bashing, like traxxas vehicles, don't perform well on a track. And cars that are designed to be raced, are too expensive and precises to bash around... you would quickly find out that you don't WANT to bash a race quality vehicle.

So first thing is first... what classes are offered at your track?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Good post B....

If you're going to be more bashing than anything and plan to only go to the track once in awhile and MAYBE race you have got to get the SC8e. It is BY FAR the best bashing and most fun vehicle I've ever owned. I've had 2 now and they are incredible. TRY to break one and you can't. The first I had I beat the daylights out of and the only time I ever broke it was an upper turnbuckle because I launched off a huge gravel pit and landed sideways.

They are also great fun on a BIG track or one made yourself on your property. Your track may let you race in the 4x4 SC class but it's a beastly rig so others may not like it so much.

Cpt. America said it perfect. You don't want to bash a race vehicle and you can't really race a bash vehicle. Get the SC8e and you'll be very happy! Nothing like 22.2v lipo and 60mph speed in a 12 pound truck!!

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
There is the key to your answer. Before we can recommend anything, we need to know what classes are run at your local track. Most likely the only car out of those choices you would be able to race at your local track , would be the 1/8 buggy... if any.

There is always an issue when people say "i want to bash, and sometimes race, what do i buy?" In that the cars built for bashing, like traxxas vehicles, don't perform well on a track. And cars that are designed to be raced, are too expensive and precises to bash around... you would quickly find out that you don't WANT to bash a race quality vehicle.

So first thing is first... what classes are offered at your track?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 AM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

+ on associated buggy!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

The brushless Revo is pretty good fun. And get something tuff. no matter what the little one has, they are gonna want a go of yours! trust me. And right from the outset talk up what they have, if they think theirs is better they'll leave yours alone.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Rookie

e-firestorm flux online $400 sometimes even cheaper and they are tough and alot of people race with them down at my track people bash with them and race and it cheap for such a good car. you dont need the best battery for them either.
$400 e-firestorm flux (could buy the 10t and get better motor and stuff)
charger $30-100
battery hobbyking is good and cheap u could get good 2s 3000mah for $20-40 3s will heat the motor up a bit flat out. but 2s is fast enough for most people.
so $500 roughly
for my i got
e-firestorm flux
$200 charger reduce to $100 (can buy charger way cheaper online)
trakpower 5400mah 3s which is beast but i got rip off for it in my opinion