Wiki Posts
Search

Teach me about servo specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Teach me about servo specs

Hey there everyone. Looking into purchasing a new servo for my RC8TE for this season. I have never really looked into the actual specs, always just bought what was suggested. What would be the ideal servo for a reasonable price for an RC8TE truggy? I really don't understand the specs I see. For example:

Torque: 89 in/oz @ 6.0 V, 80 in/oz @ 4.8V
Speed: .08s/60 degrees @ 6.0V, .10s/60 degrees @ 4.8V

That's just an example, not necessarily a servo I was considering.

What are the ideal specs, and what do all those numbers mean? I've never really looked into servos so much before. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i would think you will want your torque to be 200+ for an 1/8 scale truggy.... most of my 1/10 scale stuff runs 150 or so.....

speed is just that... how long it takes for the servo to turn 60 degrees, obviously, faster is better...
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Torque is essentially how much turning force the servo can produce. Higher value, more force. Speed is how fast in seconds it can rotate 60 degrees, smaller value is faster.

You need enough torque to overcome most track obstacles, be generally strong enough not to break down with normal use (& occasional abuse), etc. Generally more speed is good, allows for quicker reactions (smaller value).

Both are frequently rated at different voltages. 4.8V is mostly a traditional voltage for 4 nickel cell 1/12 scale and receiver pack RCs. Generally in other electric RCs the radio system is powered by the BEC function in the speed controller, they are mostly in the 5.5 to 6V range. With the move to lipo receiver packs for nitro/gas some servos now specify 7.4V specs (aka “high voltage”). Note the servo will have more torque and a faster speed at higher voltages.

My guess is the 6V ratings are likely the most appropriate for your situation, unless you run an external BEC at a higher voltage.

The Hitec 7955 is a well regarded 1/8 servo, it’s rated at 333 oz-in of torque, and 0.15s for speed (both at 6V). Suggest something at least approaching those values, especially the torque. 1/8s, especially truggies, are fairly hard on servos, many sacrifice some speed for torque and reliability.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

There are some servos that are HV servos. They are rated at 6v and 7.4v and are for running with a 2S rcvr lipo unregulated.