Reciever batteries level indicator?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reciever batteries level indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Reciever batteries level indicator?

Hows it goin, i had a few issues with my receiver batteries going flat in my gv cage and had an unfortunate meeting with my friends garage door at speed.
What is the cheapest 2.4ghz pistol radio that can tell me if my receiver batteries are going flat?
I saw a cheap futaba one on ebay for 150 which was a 2pl 2.4ghz but didnt say if it had a receiver battery indicator
I dont race or anything i just go down my local oval/park and my front lawn.
Thanks for any help.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

People sell their XP TX/RX combos when the upgrade, probably get the set for around $50-$75 maybe even less... Its not digital readout but has the little colored lights

These come in all the Team Associated RTR kits b4.1 t4.1 sc10
I sold mine for $35
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply,
Can i get a light indicator to put on the car itself to give the battery level?
Ive only been playing around with rc for about 6 months all up and only 1 month with nitro, so im pretty new to the scene and have alot to learn.
I do appreciate the help i get because i cant get it elsewhere
Sorry if my questions are a bit vague.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, you can find those but it gives a false sense of security with NiMh cause the voltage isn't really related to how much is still in the battery with NiMh like it is for lipo. You have to put some kind of load on a Nimh battery and see what the voltage does in reaction to that load to tell how much is left.

This is due to the voltage recovery seen with NiMh, take the load off and voltage goes back close to what it was. Think we've all had the experience of picking a NiMh battery up and seeing it had good voltage, tried to use it just to find that it was really flat.

This issue caused a small controversy with the new generation of battery checkers since that included a rcvr batt plug in to test those as well. The Hyperion Sentry I use warns you that voltage is not a measure of remaining capacity for NiMh.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dodgy Cage
Thanks for the reply,
Can i get a light indicator to put on the car itself to give the battery level?
Ive only been playing around with rc for about 6 months all up and only 1 month with nitro, so im pretty new to the scene and have alot to learn.
I do appreciate the help i get because i cant get it elsewhere
Sorry if my questions are a bit vague.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../hcap0332.html

something like this? I have an older one made by dynamite, which I can't say is all that useful. At least it tells me if it's dead. The RX/TX the other guy mentioned (AE RTR radio) does not have a receiver voltage monitor. If you're just bashing, getting a radio with this kind of capability probably isn't worthwhile. Try a voltage checker and then just experiment with how accurate it is. You could leave your RX on and just test it at varying indicated levels to see if the servos still function and at what distance. Then you'll have an idea of what the true warning signal will be.