R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default newbie needs expert help

OK, i am a very new newbie. The only rc car I have ever had was a radio shack $99 4 wheel drive. I just bought a SC10 brushless off a friend at work. Lets just say its gonna take alot of practice to keepthis truck upright.
My biggest problem is turning while moving pretty quick. The truck wants to roll at the slightest turn.
I am running silver springs on the front and green springs on the back. I am pretty sure it has the stock shock oil. I have laid the front shocks down as far as they will go and i dont believe there is any adjustment on the rear. Any suggestions will be a big help.
Also, I have stripped out a steering servo gear already. I read about a servo saver, and I found it. I haven't been able to find anything on adjusting it. If I understood it right, the servo saver helps during crashes and I am doing alot of that right now.
Thanks again for any help
Chubby
Chubby139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default rolling

first if you havent already take all the spring tension off the shoks,secondly run the truck in your driveway for a few minutes to wear the tires down a bit,the purpose of this is to deflect some of the traction your getting as when you go into the corner and turn ths edges of the tires are grabing and making the truck roll taking the tension off the springs will also allow the shocks to take the trucks weight while cornering hoe this helps if you have any other problems feel free to ask
pooky7774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Just guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby139 View Post
OK, i am a very new newbie. The only rc car I have ever had was a radio shack $99 4 wheel drive. I just bought a SC10 brushless off a friend at work. Lets just say its gonna take alot of practice to keepthis truck upright.
My biggest problem is turning while moving pretty quick. The truck wants to roll at the slightest turn.
I am running silver springs on the front and green springs on the back. I am pretty sure it has the stock shock oil. I have laid the front shocks down as far as they will go and i dont believe there is any adjustment on the rear. Any suggestions will be a big help.
Also, I have stripped out a steering servo gear already. I read about a servo saver, and I found it. I haven't been able to find anything on adjusting it. If I understood it right, the servo saver helps during crashes and I am doing alot of that right now.
Thanks again for any help
Chubby
Center of gravity too high, perhaps too much traction, you running on dirt or road?

PS: Servo savers generally use spring tension to clasp a V joint together, if you loosen it, it will open up and allow the servo horn to shift off it's center. This could also have something to do with your steering end points and rates which would make car twitchy hence the roll.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Tech Regular

also and this is the hardest thing to do. Slow down if you go into a turn faster than you need to or should you wont stay on your wheels the hard part is making yourself go slower when all you want to do is be full throttle all the way!!!!!!
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNINONMT View Post
also and this is the hardest thing to do. Slow down if you go into a turn faster than you need to or should you wont stay on your wheels the hard part is making yourself go slower when all you want to do is be full throttle all the way!!!!!!
+1
slower is faster...especially when turning
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

How is your camber set? Camber essentially being the top of the tire leaned in a little (which is negative camber). A little negative camber can reduce the tendency of the outside tire(s) from folding over in the turn and causing a quick roll over. But don’t overdo it or you loose straight traction. Something to try. Also make sure the ride height isn't too high as mentioned also, generally want the suspension arms to be fairly level at rest with the truck ready to run. But of course there is always a limit to cornering speed as mentioned, especially with a short course truck.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote