new to forum

Old 10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to forum

hello all
i have a couple of questions for you guys.
i used to have rc cars many years ago mostly tamiaya back in the mid to late 80's. my son has shown some interest in a rc cars. i am looking for some general advice on getting my son a rc car. he likes the traxxas bandit. i am a littlle concerned that the bandit maybe a little restrictive for future upgrades.or do i buy a bandit as a first car let him learn and just upgrade to a different car after some time. he is twelve years old . and does like to tinker with stuff.
my thought was maybe a sc10 or slasher brushless. seems to be better quality and could be upgraded to a race truck .
last question for know batteries lipo/ nich/abcd/nima.... what does it all mean. thanks for help in advance ..
Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Welcome to the forum. I personally would get him an sc10, i race one and beat it and have not broke a thing yet. IMHO. Also there are upgrades for it like factory team options and also aluminum hop-ups.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Bandit is actually a very versatile car- it can be rebuilt to Rustler with very little parts as they have the same chassie, and it can further on be rebuilt to Slash by buying an extension kit from STRC. Have a look in the "Give your Slash a 2nd chance"-thread in the offroad-forum. There are heaps of option parts to choose from from different manifacturers aswell, so it will be wrong to say it is restrictive to future upgrades. I think this will be an exellent choise for him. And they are very easy to maintain.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kazanimo
hello all
i have a couple of questions for you guys.
i used to have rc cars many years ago mostly tamiaya back in the mid to late 80's. my son has shown some interest in a rc cars. i am looking for some general advice on getting my son a rc car. he likes the traxxas bandit. i am a littlle concerned that the bandit maybe a little restrictive for future upgrades.or do i buy a bandit as a first car let him learn and just upgrade to a different car after some time. he is twelve years old . and does like to tinker with stuff.
my thought was maybe a sc10 or slasher brushless. seems to be better quality and could be upgraded to a race truck .
last question for know batteries lipo/ nich/abcd/nima.... what does it all mean. thanks for help in advance ..
welcome to the party!!!!!
i would recommend the slash for none other than the durability aspect...dont get me wrong this truck is a very capable truck, there r a TON of upgrades avail, tons of support, and its prolly the fastest growing class around...alot better to learn on than the bandit is...if u guys r wanting to go bashing around and lite to moderate racing, this would b the truck to get...now if u were wanting to do more racing than bashing then i would get the sc10...its more of the race truck than the slash is. it all depends on what u guys r planning on doing!!!!