Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into the hobby

I did a little bit of research before coming here to this post, and really didn't get very far. So I apologize in advance if this is anything of a repost.

About ten years ago I had a tamaiya kit, HPI 4wd truck, and HPI 4wd on-road car, all were electric. I picked up a traxxas nitro truck, and then a losi truck not long after. Sold pretty much everything a little while down the line.

Getting bored recently so I might pick up another truck or buggy just to screw around with in my yard. I live on about two acres of land and have plenty of driveway to mess around on. I was thinking of going with the 2WD AE B4 buggy but really didn't know what kind of motor or esc, motor, or controller to go with. I have a budget of around $300, but considering the kit runs around 200 and the controller is almost another 70 I find that a hard mark to not run too far over.

I also need a good site to purchase some parts from at decent prices, without having to scrounge through a million listings on ebay or craigslist. Any suggestions ranging between any kit, motor, esc, controller, or website are all much appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

first off....WELCOME back....associated has come out with the b4.1 rtr brushless (13.5) and 2.4ghz for around $260ish...then all u would have to do is get a charger and batt's either lipo's or nimh...awesome car for what u r getting...they also have the truck in the 4.1 version as well
Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

amainhobbies.com has been great so far
i just got started up myself and got a

AE t4.1 brushless RTR ($229 the b4.1 brushless is same price)
Lipo battery ($60 Protek 5000mAh 35c)
Lipo charger ($120 but some cheaper)

minus coupon -$25 (they always have a coupon running $25 off a $250 purchase is the big one) -search the "amain coupon" on here

Very nice out of the box for $400, you can get a good charger for like $50 less

or you can get a traxxas kit with EVERYTHING for like $175 (ruslter) they do have a brushless version also
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Also new, and I think www.towerhobbies.com is a great online store. Good discounts and service too! I got most of my stuff from them.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

To buy just about everything you can go to amainhobbies.com
To get the lipo charger go to hobbypartz.com and get the thunder ac6 lipo charger/balancer for $55 its is an awsome deal,me and some buddies run them without any issues.
Then go to either hobbyking.com or again hobbypartz.com for the lipo you can get a great deal on one.
And if youre just looking to goof off, i would go with the ae brushless rtr its a good deal considiring it comes with a brushless system.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got the B4.1 rtr 2.4 brushless and it has worked great. The only thing i upgraded was to titanium turnbuckles and CVA dogbones. I got it about 3 months ago and still have the stock motor, esc, and pinion and spur gear on it. It has plenty of power for where I race.