Wiki Posts
Search

Your biggest mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude
Friends never let friends drive their rcs.

Especially after they say "how far will this go off this jump if you hit it wide open?"
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've made a few....One of the biggest was opening an RC track..what a money pit..it cost me $1000 a month out of my pocket to keep the doors open..and had guys complaining about the cost to race..it was $20 for the first and $10 for the second..not bad for indoor carpet....here in Ca. large buildings cost quite a bit..most in my area are going for 75 cents to 1 dollar a square foot..I got mine for 35 cents a square foot..$1800 a month..
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Joining these forums, getting all the free advice one could need and then after a 10 year break...rejoining the hobby and now wondering why I can't stop thinking about RC.

In all seriousness, my biggest on was not paying attention while plugging the wires into my batter - ie: flipping the poles and then connecting to my speed control...
And then having a GF wonder why the room smells like burned electronics.

Now I know, once I plug the wires in and they're correct...leave them!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

started this hobby...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

back in the day before 2.4ghz we had somthing called 27mhz...

Its amazing what happened when you dont have the antenna wire sticking outa the car, yes it ran away
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Lord

This one is sorta funny..it was quite a few years ago..I had this old bolink pan car and my son had just finished a rocket class at his elementary school and we had a few motors left over, 2 of them were some long burn Apogee E6's..lots of thrust....so we hooked them up on the bolink went out to the street (it was Sunday about 7:30 in the morning) turned the radio on made sure the steering worked and fired the rockets...dammmmmm that thing was fast..their was a small rise in the road about 200 feet from where we were standing, problem was at 60 it was more of a jump than anything, I went to hit the brakes and realized there weren't any....it was only about 2 and a half seconds into the burn (the rocket motors burn time is about 7.2 seconds) when it was to the "jump" it just took off..it hit at least 30 feet in the air, maybe higher..it must have flown 80 to 90 feet out in a field..my kid wanted to do it again..but there was not much left of the bolink..
Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
This one is sorta funny..it was quite a few years ago..I had this old bolink pan car and my son had just finished a rocket class at his elementary school and we had a few motors left over, 2 of them were some long burn Apogee E6's..lots of thrust....so we hooked them up on the bolink went out to the street (it was Sunday about 7:30 in the morning) turned the radio on made sure the steering worked and fired the rockets...dammmmmm that thing was fast..their was a small rise in the road about 200 feet from where we were standing, problem was at 60 it was more of a jump than anything, I went to hit the brakes and realized there weren't any....it was only about 2 and a half seconds into the burn (the rocket motors burn time is about 7.2 seconds) when it was to the "jump" it just took off..it hit at least 30 feet in the air, maybe higher..it must have flown 80 to 90 feet out in a field..my kid wanted to do it again..but there was not much left of the bolink..
Do it again,do it again!

Mine was quite a few years ago. I was about 12 and racing my first big race with my brand new, bad ass, JRX-2. Had a new, tuned motor for the main. Got it all soldered up and ready.
Back then we would walk our cars over the timing loop to check in. Battery tech omg. Anyway I set up on the grid about mid back. Feelin myself for making the amain. "Less than 5, Go!!!!!"
Squeze the trigger and the car shoots backwards at full throttle. Soldered it backwards and in all my swoll headedness I didnt double check. I missed all the others cars thank god.But can imagine their suprise when a Losi goes shooting by them backwards. Have always quadruple check my wiring to this day.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

heres one from last sunday........i decided to tooth up on my clutch bell (yes i use a clutch for my electric set-up) she was really screamin right up til the clutch bell shot forward and came off the spur, thank god my brake servo was there to keep it from just flying off. i now have a real nice crater in the side of my servo. lesson? always threadlock your setscrew.......
Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I bought my first real race engine(os v-spec) as a hop up for my then
EB-4 s2 buggy, having run the OS for a few local meetings, and might I say, was very impressed..Then I sold the EB4, and got an RC8(1st gen) and this engine went in the AE buggy, one day was in my shed, had motor running,
doing some fine tunning(no wheels on car), and lets just say I must have over reved the engine, and it came to a very sudden stop..DOH!!

Lesson learnt, always have wheels or some sort of load on engine,
expensive mistake, and had to borrow an engine to race next meeting.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I had just broken in an o.s speed engine with the magnesium head at the track tuning for the race later when i took the wrong humpack to run again and went wide open and shot the rod threw the bottom of the case and shattered the rod in three pieces.A 500$ mistake switched my 8ight-t 2.0 to electric
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by kman16jr
I had just broken in an o.s speed engine with the magnesium head at the track tuning for the race later when i took the wrong humpack to run again and went wide open and shot the rod threw the bottom of the case and shattered the rod in three pieces.A 500$ mistake switched my 8ight-t 2.0 to electric
..electric is just as prone to failure as nitro..can't blame YOUR mistake on nitro..I guess you never thought of a return spring for your throttle..
Old 10-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
..electric is just as prone to failure as nitro..can't blame YOUR mistake on nitro..I guess you never thought of a return spring for your throttle..
I know it is,just one less thing to wrong.I'm not blaming my mistake i was just stating what happened.I did have a throttle return spring but i had a 9100t in there when it happened so it just pulled and pulled.I just switched it to electric because i wanted to try it out and found out i kinda like it.I run other stuff nitro just not my truggy.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Letting the missus see my credit card statement.....
Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Haven't made that mistake yet. I'd be a dead man!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I tell G Force to keep the reciepts... it's just evidence.
Dumbest thing I've done so far was not switching models on the TX and thinking my batteries were dead right before first heat. Wait no, I remember trying to start my truggy with no gas once or twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.