Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to RC, looking to start with $100, help?? >

New to RC, looking to start with $100, help??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC, looking to start with $100, help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My RC experience tells me that if you try to go cheap you end up replacing all parts over and over and end up paying wayyy more than you would have if at the beginning you had bought a decent brand.
I say stick with the more well known names;

xray
losi
Mugen
Associated
HB

This site has a great buy/sell section and sometimes you can find a great deal.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i think we'd all like to know how to jump in on only a 100bux. take the $ and put it away for college books. he'll thank you later.

R
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I second the motion on the Electrix or the Evader, although I think the Electrix is a better option for someone starting out with no real knowledge of what is best because it comes with EVERYTHING. If you look on UltimateRC, there's a video overview/review of it that should give you some good info
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default buggy

it gonna be tough to get anything decent in the 100 dollar price tag

Last edited by pooky7774; 10-30-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orgnoi1
+1 on the Traxxas Slash... its pretty much the do all-end all type truck on the market... and I would also go used to keep the price down...

I do a lot of buy-cheap rebuilds and there are definately some $100 slashs out there... you just have to look for them... the big issue isnt the truck... its the parts that come AFTER the truck... batteries and chargers can be fairly pricy and without them you will have ungodly charging times... one option is to monitor Craigslists for your area and watch for someone selling a package deal...

+1!

I couldnt believe the extra expenses after I realized what it would take to enjoy this hobby. I am a little bit anal about having supplies, parts, the resources to work on things etc...but for reference, I bought a slash 4x4 RTR kit, and....while waiting for my other charger and batteries to get here, there is no way that would have been much fun if thats ALL I got.. the NIMH battery was good....but the charger that took 8hrs to get 20 min of runtime was not.

With that being said - I found that if you want to buy new, tower seems to be the way to go. they might be a few (5-10 bux) higher than some other places, but if you join their club (9.99 which gets you free shipping which is 9.99...so you are even), and use their discount codes, you can bring it down a little. I paid 320 for my 4x4 shipped to my door!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by GoatsnBros
+1!
With that being said - I found that if you want to buy new, tower seems to be the way to go. they might be a few (5-10 bux) higher than some other places, but if you join their club (9.99 which gets you free shipping which is 9.99...so you are even), and use their discount codes, you can bring it down a little. I paid 320 for my 4x4 shipped to my door!
I am new to the hobby I hope to buy a Slash 4x4 tomorrow, I read this the other day and joined their club and they are offering killer deals. Thank you.
When I am able to start a thread I have a few questions.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zzrguy
I am new to the hobby I hope to buy a Slash 4x4 tomorrow, I read this the other day and joined their club and they are offering killer deals. Thank you.
When I am able to start a thread I have a few questions.
You should be able to start a thread now? If you still can't send a message to a mod
Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
You should be able to start a thread now? If you still can't send a message to a mod
Thank you I did.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, here are some estimated prices in USD.

http://www.rccarsrtr.com/index.php/cheap-rc-cars.html

Hope it helps.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Traxxas stampede xl-5 is a great one to start with too. Only $170 NIB with everything to run it and is a very good rc that's hard to break. I own a stampede myself and was a great first time rc 3 years ago.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For what its worth I'm new at this and didn't want to spend a lot. Ended up with the 1/10 electrixrc circuit stadium truck mentioned. Have only run twice so far. Already wanting a better charger. You might research the mini t as it should be easy to upgrade and/or get parts for from what I can tell. I bet the cheapest is to go used. Like I said I am new at this so take what I say with a grain of salt.