Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Okay, I really need your help trying to pick some stuff out >

Okay, I really need your help trying to pick some stuff out

Okay, I really need your help trying to pick some stuff out

Old 05-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default Okay, I really need your help trying to pick some stuff out

I can't seem to figure out what the best electric equipment would be for myself. I plan to race at a local carpet track.

First off, I think I'll get an FM radio, but is the synthesized system worth it, because do you really need all those channels, or would a standard set with one backup crystal be enough? And if it is (standard set), is a computer radio really justified if I will only be racing one car? And then even further, what is the best company to get the radio from? Is Hitec good enough? I've heard a lot of good about Airtronics and JR, but what do y'all think?

Next, I can't seem to figure out what ESC I need. The track I plan to race at is pretty short with a lot of turns and no real extended straights. What is a pretty good ESC that has the best combination of price and specs? Are the more expensive ESCs really worth it? Would drag brake be a helpful feature/necessary because of all the turns? I'll be racing stock class, so I need it to be punchy. Are the lower level quantums good or pos? What about Duratrax? Are the GT7/QC2 really worth it, even on a tight budget?

Third, I've a heard a lot of different thigns about motors. I've heard of the large companies, like Trinity and Orion, but I've also heard that the smaller companies like Putnam and Fantom come out with the better motors. So which company should I seek out and which motor then for a short and curvy track?

Okay, that's about it. Well, I guess I'll tell you my other decisions and you can critique me there.

I plan to get a T1R. Plan to use Fukuyama or Pro-Match batteries and having them assembled at the company. Plan to use a Duratrax Intellipeak Digital Charger. Sound good?

To let you know, I'm on a somewhat limited budget, but I don't want that to stop me from being competitive, so I could make a few exceptions.

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't foget about the servo. Changing the servo made more of a difference than changing my speed control.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Last edited by cr250; 10-19-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help so far, but I still have 3 major questions unanswered.

Any other feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

In terms of ESC I prefer a novak GT7 or TC2.. Best aftermarket service...

In radio stuff I prefer you get a synthesized radio so that it will cost you less $$$ in buying crystal just to avoid glitches during the race proper.. Its up to your budget to what brand you will go..

Motors I prefer the Orion or the corally if it is supported by your hobby shop nearest to you...

Hope I help a little as to what you will need to buy.... Happy racing bro!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

JR XR3 radio, airtronics servo, GT7, Epic Binary stock, sorex tires, and hurricane batteries
Old 05-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Airtronics M8 (they have just released the synthesized module and receiver), GM makes afoordable and good ESC (if you want to do stock racing), if you're not planning to race the pro series, any GP batt-packs are good enough and economical. I use Orion motors (Chrome stock) and trinity (D5 10x1)

don't forget to get yourself a good charger to charge your batts, and if I may suggest, an equalized discharger,... any well-known brands are good,... price differences and added features here and there,.. just get one that fits your budget (I bought a charger first before investing on batt-packs)
Old 06-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

I would get a standard FM 75 mhz. transmitter just to save money.

Second i would get either the GT7 or the QC2 cause those are the top ESC. No drag brake is not good for a on-road carpet track. even though it has alot of turns drag brake is for off-road.
You can burn a motor up very easily with drag brake while driving on-raod. I've done it before. Trust me

Third go with a putman motor. Thats the only motor i run. My motor has 17999 RPM's and my older brother has a monstor stock revenge of the monstor moter and his motor has 23000 RPM's and my car goes faster than his. Even though he has a GT7 ESC. Go with a Putman. Oh ya all the expert guys that run at my local track run Putmans

Ya the Pro Match Batteries are very good in power and overal performance. I have their batteries and they run fine. They are also at a very good low price for how good they are.

I hope this helps u with what your trying to decide for your car.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Well, for your radio, figure out what is cheeper, the radio you want and 3 extra sets of crystals, or a synthsized model. As for brand, i use both a JR XR3 and a Futaba 3PK. It really depends on how into the sport you are, how into the sport you want to be, and how it feels. I know some people that stick with the stock radio because it just feels best to them. But, always go a few steps up, if you have the money, that way, you dont end up buying as many radio systems as you get mroe into it. I would say the same with a esc. I highly reccomend any duratrax product, just because of their customrer support. I spraypainted a few plastic parts, and they melted, so duratrax sent me new ones, didnt even charge shipping.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

GT7 is a good choice and the Hitec 5925 servo
Old 07-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

esc i would save up enugh money to get the lrp Quantium compition 2
Motor I am going to get Fukuyama mako for stock and for mod i would run a orion 9by2
Radio jr xr3i is awsome

BATTRIES: I run fukuyama battries and they are better than any other battries i have run they have so much punch
you can contact them through there site www.fukuyamaracing.com
Old 07-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Dude, If u really want good electric equptment...buy the losi xxx its a good fast reliable motor reasonably priced
Old 07-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

You don't need the best of everything to be competitive. I have an evo2 and am currently running the novak tc2 ($50), with paradigm monster ($36) and airtronics mx3 ($55). This equipment is more than adequate to be competitive and nicely fit into my tight budget
Old 07-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb Chargers.....

I would stay away from the duratrax all together. The Dynomight Peak chargers are much better and comparativly priced. You could also go to your local track and see if any one is selling thier Novak Millenium or the newer LRP Quasar chargers. I bought my first gen. millenium charger from a friend for about the same price as a new dynomight charger and I get full adjustability of charge with my charger, and I have 0 problems what so ever. As far as speed controllers go, I prefere the LRP 7.1. It has no motor limit so I can run any motor I want, it's a competive level as well, but it has no reverse if your planning to bash it around off the track. And I agree with every one else in the sense to get the synthesized controller. If you go to any 2 day race event you will almost always have a frequency issue and with the synthesized system, you will save mony in the long run since you will no longer have to buy crystals, and get at least a 3 car profile radio....just in case you get hooked like me and decide to buy an extra car or two, or even 10
Old 07-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

battery get the 3300's they are best.. If you like the 3600 sanyo better buy the 4 batch so that these will be a great batch of batts and a bit punchier than 3300..

charger get the gfx still the best with all the impt settings for a good battery charging..

radio get the JR xs3 or the 3pk gold series if budget is not a problem.

esc get a novak or keyence no limit..

motor brushless! or reedy will do.. corally is also a great one..