Wiki Posts
Search

want to get into rc racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default want to get into rc racing

hi there
i wander if anyone can help me, i want to start rc car racing and just wandered if anyone had any tips on choice of cars and setups etc for a beginner, also with me being a begginer i dont want to burn a big hole in my pocket so please help!
idealy i want to get into the electrical side because ive had some bad feedback about nitro?

thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At the main forum page there are regional sections that will help you find local clubs and tracks. Find what kind of racing interests you the most(dirt, on road, carpet, rock crawling etc), then see what the local guys are running.

I would t dive in to dropping a grand if you don't think you'll like it. Start in a rookie class or a "silver can" class as the competition isn't usually determined by who has the deepest pockets.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Find a local track and see what classes they race. Then buy something that looks fun and and your local hobby shop supports.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Exactly. For example, around me I have an indoor track (Tacoma RC Raceway) which is all 1/10 2wd buggies and 2wd Short Course trucks. In the other direction (Area52 Raceway) it's a big, outdoor, 1/8 track so 1/8 buggies (nitro and electric) are the most popular, followed by 2wd Short Course trucks.

For offroad, you're generally pretty safe finding plenty of racers if you go with 1/10 2wd buggies (like the RC10B4) or 1/10 2wd Short Course trucks (like the SC10).

As far as brands, you'll typically find brands that are more durable but less race-worthy like Traxxas (waterproof, durable, great for back yard "bashing") or you'll find racing-bred brands like Team Associated, HPI, Kyosho, or Losi.

You also want to call around to your local hobby shops (LHS) and ask them what people are racing in the area (assuming you want to race) and - importantly - what vehicles they tend to stock parts for. If you go with a vehicle that doesn't have parts stocked locally (like Tamiya or Kyosho, for example) it means you might have to wait a week or two to fix a broken part while you order it online. I've found that, in the US, Team Associated, Traxxas, and Losi are always pretty easy to find parts for (locally).

Also, if you're just getting in to the hobby and thinking about what types of upgrades you may want to do to your "Ready to Run" (RTR) kit, I'd suggest the following:
1) Convert to a brushless motor + Electronic Speed Control (ESC)
2) Use Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries
3) Upgrade your stock servo (this makes a HUGE difference)

And make sure you buy a kit with a 2.4GHz radio.

I hope that helps!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

For a first electric, Traxxas would be a good way to go, mostly because of the availability of parts and great service. Also, they aren't too expensive and are more durable than most. For racing Traxxas aren't the best, but not unacceptable. If you want cheap, no too durable cars, then go with Tamiya.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

wow brilliant thanks you guys been a massive help
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I would go with a 1/10th scale Traxxas electric car or truck. They have a ton of Ready To Run vehicles to choose from, and will fit any budget. They are fun, and durable. Plus, parts are cheap, and plentiful WHEN you do break something(not if). You can play with it in the front yard, but still can take it to the track if you want to race it.

Get yourself a plastic medium sized tool box or fishing box, and plan to buy some R/C specific tools-screw drivers, allen wrenches, etc. It makes a huge difference when you are using tools designed to be used on RC cars. Also, a good box is needed to organize extra parts, batteries, charger, etc.