Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scared of an RC! Yes. Scared of one.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dont step outside you may get struck by lightning , you should take up chess if your gona be this scared.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Originally Posted by ColeRC
Hey what's up everyone! I'm new here as you can tell. Well I really haven't had ALOT of experience with rc cars but some. I have an electric Raven ST with some upgrades and all of that. However, ever since entering this hobby I have been bothered by something which is what made me stop for about 2 years. When I bought my Raven ST and brought it home, I noticed a label on the box. It read, "This Product is known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth effects, or other reproductive harm." What is that all about? Is it about the radiation? I am planning to buy a nitro rc as well, but why would I buy an rc that causes cancer? The problem is though, everything in this hobby has that warning on it. I want to get to the bottom of this so I can fully enjoy rc cars once again. I was introduced to them at five years old, and I don't want this to bug me away from the hobby.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay guys, I think I my have found something to end this all. Take a look at this:

Q: With a label that says "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm," how can I trust that the product is safe?

A: If a Proposition 65 warning is posted, it means that the business issuing the warning knows that one or more listed chemicals is merely present in its product. A warning must be given unless a business demonstrates that the exposure it causes poses "no significant risk."

With respect to carcinogens, the "no significant risk" level is defined as the level which is calculated to result in not more than one excess case of cancer in 100,000 individuals exposed over a 70-year lifetime. In other words, if you are exposed to the chemical in question at this level every day for 70 years, theoretically, it will increase your chances of getting cancer by no more than 1 case in 100,000 individuals so exposed.

With respect to reproductive toxicants, the "no significant risk" level is defined as the level of exposure which, even if multiplied by 1,000, will not produce birth defects or other reproductive harm. In other words, the level of exposure is below the "no observable effect level," divided by 1,000. (The "no observable effect level" is the highest dose level which has not been associated with observable reproductive harm in humans or test animals.)

So the odds are 1 in 100,000 or more of getting cancer?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Dude your worrying about to much crap ok. The thing will not hurt you unless you EAT it. Chillll. GO AND HAVE FUN.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

jesis christ.

how old are you?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, if I forgot I was looking through the rookie zone I sure remember now.

This dude is worried about a California cancer label, and half the replies warn about lipo fire dangers.

All of you should be shopping at Toys R US. Oh wait, they sell toys that cause cancer in Cali, as well as Lipo powered toys. Maybe someone should tell them how dangerous that stuff is for our children.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Great post. Just the right amount of sarcasm with a hint of "harden the f**k up"
I refrained from posting on the thread until now as I thought other people were actually taking this seriously.
But to be sure, what ever you do, don't touch RC cars at all. The millions of people that touch them every year are going to die one day.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
Great post. Just the right amount of sarcasm with a hint of "harden the f**k up"
I refrained from posting on the thread until now as I thought other people were actually taking this seriously.
But to be sure, what ever you do, don't touch RC cars at all. The millions of people that touch them every year are going to die one day.
After reading this JR, I started browsing for a good Ronnie Johns/Chopper Reid pic to post here, but then I realized it might not be such a good idea while I'm still in the office.

For anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about, look on youtube for "Chopper Reid" and/or "Harden the F*** up" (without the asterisks)
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

apparently i made a mistake by linking the wikipedia article.....

information can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If I had to worry about messin with chemicals Id be dead by now
Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

that warning is for the lubercants and chemicals that are associated with that particular vehicle (which is mostly all vehicles) in the rc world. I'm sure they fed 10 pounds of some damn lube to a rat and it got cancer from it eventually.. Like everyone else has been saying, DONT EAT ANY OF YOUR RC PRODUCTS and Wash your hands
Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

It could be lead in the insulation on the wires. Look at some extension cords or the cords on your Christmas lights. You may see the same warning label. Lead is used in some insulation to provide thermal stability and electrical resistance.

But like said above, don't be overly concerned. Unless you're "eating" it like this guy: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm
Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Unless you are eating it, inhaling the fumes from burning it, or injecting it into you, I wouldn't worry about it.

It is not the radiation from the radio that is the issue; we run our cars at very low ERP here and are well within the safe ranges that the FCC specifies for operations.

Plenty of stuff there that could cause it...

Wire insulation
Solder
Anything with NiCD or NiMH batteries
Oil
Grease

If you go grab a can of motor oil you will see similar warnings.

Last edited by mattgk; 08-05-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Additional information added.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Huh?

I saw that same warning on my way to work. It was talking about the air.!?!?!?!? Dude really if that's all you have to worry about your going to be fine.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.